Replacement for old type articulated cupboard hinge

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:37 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

My recently acquired 2004 Troll had suffered from bad rusting to the articulated hinges in the cupboard over the sink/cooker. My guess is that it was the result of steam from whatever was being prepared as well as boiling kettles and so on. It has also rusted the screws holding the light in place but that's another issue.

It was clear that the hinges needed some attention and eventually I was able to remove them. Despite working with heat, oil, releasing fluid and lots of open and close it was clear the they are beyond reasonable saving. So, I set about finding some new ones.

After several hours of looking at pictures of hinges I tracked the correct type down to a marine supplier in Italy. A couple of emails resulted in them telling me about their UK distributor. A couple more emails revealed that they had 2 in stock which have been ordered. The only difference is that they are chrome finish but so what.

The bad news is that they are not cheap at £15.48 exc VAT each. The other bad news is that these were the last 2 in their UK stock but the Italian supplier does have 50 - with about 4 weeks lead time.

The company is Timage - www.timage.co.uk You can order the hinge by emailing sales@timage.co.uk
The part is "700000 SOS HINGE 39 X 28MM- CHROME"
They will need an invoice name, address and phone number.
They email a pro-forma invoice with a payment line via SagePay and that's that.
New one is on the left.
P1020025.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Tilly pushing a couple of old fogies.
cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Replacement for old type articulated cupboard hinge

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I wouldn't chuck the old ones out. It should be possible to drive out the hinge pins and replace them. Not sure about sourcing hinge pins themselves but they are only a bit of steel rod with a flattened end. You could try the pins from these which are pretty cheap and worth a go.

https://www.toolstation.com/loose-pin-hi...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Yes I did consider this, but these are 2mm x 23mm pins as opposed to those gateposts, and each hinge has 7 pins
OK I can get stainless 2 x 24 and grind a bit off or 2 x 22 which would work fine.
The only minor issues is being able to drive or press out the old ones - without damaging the knuckles - and then pressing in the new ones.
Given the relationship between pin and hinge has become closer over the years that looks like a bit of a tall order for a Black and Decker, hammer, nail and mole grips.
If you've got the kit it possibly can be done but I no longer have access to those sort of tools sadly.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Tilly pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:31 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

That's a good find rambling robin.

I was perhaps more fortunate with my 2007 Triton where the hinges were badly corroded but I was able to recover them sufficiently with a lot of hard work.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1