542 Under Mattress Insulation

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:47 am
by smitton | 22 Posts

First trip away this year was a gentle reminder that I still needed to install the planned insulation below the sprung mattress in our 542. Being a fixed bed we suffer a large volume of unheated cold air below the mattress. Normally not a problem but on the coldest nights its clear that it has a big cooling effect on the van.
Solution was a trip to a builders yard for 2 thermo insulation boards 1.2m x 2.4m x 25mm (£40 delivered). These are polyurethane (and not polystyrene) and can be easily cut with a kitchen knife. Offset the join away from the middle as this is where the mattress join is. We never access the storage area from inside the cabin so no loss of utility. The acid test was rolling on the reinstalled mattress to see if it creaked and flexed - silence, that's a good start.
It may not be the total solution but it's worth a go. If this doesn't have the desired impact I will splice in a hose to the blown air to push some heat into the storage area.
Pity I didn't do this before the winter.

Thermo Board.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: 542 Under Mattress Insulation

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Be careful, doing this can cause damp and mould on the underside of the mattress if going away long term, this stuff helps stop it as it allows the underside of the mattress to still breath.
https://shipshapebedding.co.uk/shop/dry-mat
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:18 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.029 Posts

I'd agree with the 'naut, condensation onto solid surfaces under and around mattresses can be a big problem, that's why they're set on slats to ensure there's plenty of ventilation.

Aren't the boiler/heater in the space under the bed? The residual heat from them should keep the space relatively warm.

We had an Adria motorhome where the boiler/heater was in an open shelf off the 'rear' garage under the fixed bed. It kept the whole garage area warm, indeed the frost stat switch that vented the water if near freezing was positioned close by so water wasn't ejected too early. Mind, it also had narrow ducting tubing running right the way around the edge of the mattress space too.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:58 pm
by smitton | 22 Posts

Thanks, yes all valid points that you raise regarding the barrier causing a moisture trap. I did consider this in my planning and satisfied myself that for the number of days in the van, combined with the fact we remove the mattress between trips etc it was a worthwhile risk. I think we will be happy with the warmer nights. I will let you know if we hit any problems. Thanks and happy vanning.

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:55 am
by smitton | 22 Posts

Currently on our NE Scotland campaign and a good time to update on the insulation. As you may know the underbed storage area under 542 fixed beds is huge and completely unheated. The insulation board has been a revelation in that now the sprung mattress is at the same temperature as the cabin, not the storage space. The mattress is no longer cold to the touch during cool evenings and mornings. So, the conclusion is that this is a big success and made for a more comfortable sleeping setup. Recommended.

2019 Touring 542 Adventure gently pulled by Mercedes B180 Petrol Auto
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:59 am
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

When we used our fixed bed 430 in late January this year I knew it could be cold under the mattress. I wrapped the outside under bed air vents in bubble wrap, and I think this helped. It definitely cut down the draughts.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2