Buying Privately

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu May 30, 2024 11:06 am
by Bill Edwards | 4 Posts

Good to be back on the forum and looking forward to getting another Eriba soon. Just wondering about the risk of buying privately? The dealers offer checks and guarantees but I expect the extra cost is significant. We've had a few Eribas over the years including 1993 Puck which still looked in great condition when we sold it. Is there one thing you need to watch for?

Scroll up

RE: Buying Privately

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu May 30, 2024 1:16 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

Hi Bill, this check list may help

Buyers guide check list

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu May 30, 2024 5:23 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.029 Posts

Currently dealers are looking for gross margins of £4,000 to £5,000 on recent vans but the bottom has dropped out of the caravan sales market and willing buyers are very scarce. The reason dealers are asking such high prices is because they're trying to get the same income to cover costs from fewer sales. Unfortunately for them that plan can't work because higher prices means even fewer sales. The trouble is that lower prices to increase volume doesn't work either because there just aren't enough punters around.
Buying from a dealer gets you cover under the Consumer Rights Act and you can reject the van inside 3 months and get your money back. After that you have to give the dealer one chance to repair a fault and if not satisfied you can reject the van but
the refund will be adjusted for use.
On a private sale you're on your own with the seller having no liability.
Best advice is get an independent caravan tech to look over the van to avoid a lemon.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Bill Edwards likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri May 31, 2024 10:06 am
by Bill Edwards | 4 Posts

Perfect, thanks

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri May 31, 2024 10:52 am
by Dranddad | 25 Posts

Hi Bill, private is okey, go with a clear view of what you're looking for within your budget. We've had our 1992 puck 23 years now wouldn't look back. I see you are in the 70s club too, good hunting

If you wake up, smile its a brand new day.
Randa france and Bill Edwards like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:57 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.163 Posts

Hi Bill

I think Andy is right about Eriba dealers having lots of stock in that they are struggling to sell like they used to. We went past a main dealer recently and were stunned how many Eribas of all sizes were on the site. It might be a time for some profitable haggling....................

Good luck

MikeT

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:59 pm
by Islay | 294 Posts

We bought ours as a private sale.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 128 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1