How long will an Eriba last just on battery power?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:29 am
by Simboc2004 | 773 Posts

My wife and my sister-in-law are spending this coming weekend at the Folk East Festival in the Eriba. There's no hook up on site, so she is limited to onboard battery power. The caravan has an 80Ah battery and will be fully charged when parked up. All onboard lighting has been upgraded to LED bulbs.

How long do you think it might last without recharging? I'm guessing the only 12V usage will be lighting and toilet flush (and the onboard tracker, which I could disconnect).

I will put up my 20 watt solar panel to give some limited recharge during the day, but that is only designed for storage trickle charge (for the tracker).

Anyone any thoughts as to how long it may last? I'm giving Claire my power bank to give her phone charging whilst away. I won't be there as I'm away playing cricket for the weekend, so I can't come to the rescue. Also cars have to be parked in the day parking, so no car with the caravan...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

RE: How long will an Eriba last just on battery power?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:45 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.035 Posts

That's an 'as long as a length of string' question. It depends on the condition of the battery, not just its stated ampere hours. That depends on how old it is and how it's been treated over its life. Use of a motor mover will take a lot of power, so that should be avoided if possible. Also modern fridges use 12v to run control systems, interior light and gas igniter. Without 12v such fridges and Combi type heater/boilers won't work, even on gas. If you have a compressor fridge it's even worse, as they use 12v to run the refrigeration and that will empty a battery in a day.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:17 am
by Edwin | 18 Posts

On the fridge - many fridges won't run on the on-board battery but only off the tow vehicle 12V. I toyed with the idea of running ours off the battery as it has a max draw of 140W and we have 160W of solar on the roof, but I decided against it.
I would guess a weekend should be comfortably possible if only running pumps and lights - that's about 700Wh if you discharge to 30% and I would guess you don't have much more than 30W of lights. Running those 5h a day over two days would consume 300Wh, leaving 400Wh for the pumps which should be plenty.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:04 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.102 Posts

Can you use the next couple of days to do a test off grid use ?
Steve

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:12 pm

I'm hoping to run the fridge off the Calor bottle (I have a new one to put in) - and I will test out the battery power to see how much it drops overnight tonight with a couple of lights left on all night. Best I can do, I think...

Thanks for the guidance
Simon

Last edited Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

With a fully charged battery I'd think nothing of a weekend away, using for lights, water pump and some TV when it would inevitably rain.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:33 pm
by atkinbrown | 65 Posts

We spent 6 nights off grid in our Eriba two summers ago when we had the kitchen fitted in the house. The fridge and cooking on gas and we still motor moved it back into the storage spot after the six nights.

Eriba 530GT and Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:24 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.539 Posts

We accidentally ran off battery, forgot to hook the battery up to the EHU. It lasted 4 or 5 days before the lights started to dim and we realised we were on battery. An 80 AH battery so a weekend should be fine.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:43 am

Thanks for all the help. Very reassuring

Last edited Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:43 pm

I meant to report back on how it went - 13.1V in the battery when I had finished setting it up on the Thursday. When I collected it on the Sunday evening it had 12.8V in the battery. I had had the 20V solar panel connected - and it had been sunny. The fridge ran really well on gas.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107695 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2