Light weight awnings

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:42 pm
by Philvayro44@gmail.com | 50 Posts

Does anybody knows who do light weight awnings ie the tent style polyester fabric for The Eriba troll that's light weight and uses the poles instead of these heavy air awnings

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

RE: Light weight awnings

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.554 Posts

Do an Internet search on I believe Vango Faros 11. https://www.vango.co.uk/faros-ii-low This is the pole version of the Siesta/Elwood, which at about 10kg are actually both very leight and easy for one person to fit.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:07 pm

Thank colin

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:12 pm
by Old Rocker | 528 Posts

The Elwood Air isn't very heavy I have now got it down to 30mins on my own

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:01 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.185 Posts

Hi Phil
We still use our SunnCamp Swift Verao 260 Van Low when we are going away for a few days in our Troll and we don't want to use our heavy Kampa/Dometic PopAir 365.

We have used it for about four seasons and it is still going strong. It has one light bendy pole which fits into the front of the awning. It is easy to erect and gives enough room for the two of us. I think it cost us about £150 when we bought it.

We used it at a wet Kendal site earlier in the year and it was great.

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:06 am
by Randa france | 13.216 Posts

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . 1995 Eriba Puck flying behind Ford Kuga 2L Titanium FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:03 am
by Dinky | 42 Posts

not for eriba yet can fit is those drive away awnings,

was watching kent survival that tests tents not awnings theres some pull poles tents perhaps folks that make awnings may bring out a similar system youtube.com/watch?v=-Ug_Q6AsOnM this is in the snow and the sleeping bag lol almost an episode of ufo

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:26 am

Hi Mike thanks for the reply regarding light weight awnings . That particular awning you've mentioned is £179 now from A&E leisure just a quick question can you get the awning tight upto the van and does the caravan door open freely or does it catch the awning roof ....many thanks Phil.

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:34 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 320 Posts

I didn’t really have anything to say on this subject until last night. - we’re staying at Pennine view site outside Kirkby Stephen, having just collected our new 550 on Friday.
Well, last night’s wind and rain pushed the Vango elwood around and eventually ripped the nylon below the front windows around 2am. We emptied all of our kit and waited until this morning to assess the damage - there are a couple of tears near the airtube housing in addition to the one under the window, which goes from seam to seam, and has several tears running parallel to each other.
This indicates to me that the nylon has started rotting, usually due to uv damage. Given that we’ve only had the awning since early 2022, and we’ve only used it once this year, it’s rather disappointing, but maybe to be expected of such lightweight material?
Previous awnings from outdoor revolution have lasted much longer, usually until the windows start hardening and cracking.
As others have mentioned, we only really use awnings for drying dogs, donning coats and cooking so we don’t want anything like the kampa/dometic heavyweights.
- looks like we’ve got to start researching ready for next year!
Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate, no longer pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:25 pm

Hi I suppose light weight = fragile ?? Our present porch awning came with the caravan metal frame with canvas material but a faff to put up but obviously stands up to bad weather and a pig to dry out so I don't know what the answer . But I'd of thought your light weight awning should have lasted longer than it has baring in mind vango are usually good quality.

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.554 Posts

We are awaiting photos of the new arrival.

Colin

Forum Administrator aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:33 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.185 Posts

Hi Phil
Sorry for the tardy reply - we have been basking in some October sunshine in Northern Greece and only just got back.

As to your questions:
a) we can get it fairly tight by using some camping guy rope to pull the side of the awning further back. We then only use one of the entrance doors depending which way the wind is coming from
b)by putting the end of the awning near to the door we can get the door to open probably about 100 degrees before it catches on the roof of the awning. It's something we have just got used to

We have had it about four seasons I think and it is more robust than we thought it would be and have not yet had a rip like the Inspector & Randa have had. That may come sooner rather than later but it doesn't really owe us anything.

We are toying with using it instead of the Popair 365 when we go to York sometime in the next few weeks for our final trip of the year.

Good luck

Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:39 am

Thanks Mike ..I think we'll invest in one for next season . I know that the pop Air awnings are very popular but we had a Air awning on our last white box caravan we found it just to heavy to pull about.
We also found condensation a problem so I think a Air awning is a no.. no..many thanks Mike......Phil.

Crinkles on tour
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Yesterday 12:06 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 320 Posts

We’ve just gone for an OL-PRO pershore canopy and a zip-in front. We’ve had their kit before and it’s been decent quality.
tTeir material is thicker than the vango so hopefully a bit more rugged, but not too heavy to lug around. Waiting for delivery tomorrow so I’ll let you know better when it turns up. 30 days return policy.🙂

Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate, pulling a Troll 550.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Yesterday 7:50 am

Cheers Steve I'll google and take a look Phil.

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 35 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12845 topics and 107746 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3