Anatomy of an Eriba....

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 pm
by Dee J (deleted)

Just to get the construction clear in my head...
Drawbar and axle linked to form a T shaped underframe. Axle has rubber suspension?
Then a tube mild steel space-frame for the body... what sort of size and thickness? any rustproofing?
Floor plywood 9? 12?mm?
Wall skin aluminium (how thick) - were the earlier vans smooth and the more recent ones textured? If so, what was the changeover date?
Roof and Pop GRP?
How is the skin secured? self tappers or rivets? Then the joins covered by a trim strip...?
Windows... glass or plastic in rubber or aluminium frames?
Insulation - expanded polystyrene - bonded in place?
Lining - tensioned - car headlining style, or bonded to the insulation?

Questions questions... so much to learn.

Dee

Scroll up

RE: Anatomy of an Eriba....

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:42 pm
by Bryn | 1.015 Posts

Yes?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm
by Dee J (deleted)

Yes?
Too much? Too techy? Wrong section?
I'm a hands-on practical person - and if I'm going to be looking at old Eriba projects and wrecks I want to know how to read the structure and judge what is right or wrong.
D

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm
by hob (deleted)

If you look in the gallery there are some cutaway images

g7-Eriba-Classy-Chassis.html

also if you look in the blog section there is a very good blog about refurbishing about 1\2 way down.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:16 pm
by Dee J (deleted)

Thanks

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm
by Randa france | 13.160 Posts

I'm no expert on these things but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Generally, the box frame chassis of the Eriba is good but if it starts to corrode it's normally the box section on the outer edges that goes first. I don't think there was any rustproofing treatment on the earlier models. They can be repaired of course but at a cost.
The aluminium bodywork is thin gauge aluminium and any dents or grazes are difficult to repair. I think the smooth body Eriba superseded the textured ones in about 2000 and at the same time as modern tail light clusters replaced the classic rectangular trailer lights.
The vertical skin is 25mm insulated and the floor is 35mm insulated.
Somewhere in our Links section you will find any number of Eriba brochures ( many of the older ones are in Dutch I'm afraid) but they are quite useful to scan through.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

the late frames are galvanised
but its not a long job to paint underneath if on a roller board,( once parked wheels on blocks to make space taller) done ours twice now, used hydrate and hammerite to give protection.
check round the chimney seal as this was one of the areas there was a very small amount of sealer (tetro seal)
eribas remind me of series land rovers, many screws!!! but easy to do work on.
the skin is held by a small number of pop rivets under the underlay, the aluminium rail screws holds the skin and underlay to the frame . the tetro also acts as a goo and sealer.
the pop is fibre glass, (do not use silicone sealer or products with silicone in, on either roof)

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12783 topics and 107361 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7