Traveling in France and Italy, help wanted

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 pm
by sleeping dog (deleted)

As this will be our first time traveling abroad with a caravan I was hoping if anyone out there can advise me if I need to have caravan towing mirrors. We have a Triton 420GT being towed by a Peugeot 3008 (the van being about 8 inches wider than the car) and the cars mirror give a good view with no bind spots. I heard somewhere that they are a requirement. As we will be doing the Grand Tour for a month we don't want to fall foul of the boys blue.

Scroll up

RE: Traveling in France and Italy, help wanted

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:42 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

If the van is wider than the car then there must be blind spots!

It is often repeated that towing mirrors are a legal requirement and I expect most policemen believe this.
However the law requires specific distances and angles of view. Some Eriba and car combinations may exceed the requirements but when it comes down to the roadside are you prepared to 'discuss' the finer points of the law with the traffic officer who has stopped you?????
It seems to me to make more sense to actually have mirrors and use them.

TonyP

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Aaron Calder, Randa france, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:51 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.822 Posts

Spot on, Tony!

Towing mirrors are essential and I certainly wouldn't want to join a French autoroute without them.

One advantage is that they act as 'cat's whiskers' - if the mirrors will go through a gap you can be sure that your caravan will.

I and many others on this forum have found that Milenco 'Aero' mirrors with flat glass are excellent. I mount mine vertically but it's a matter of choice.

Milenco Aero Mirrors

P1000929.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Have a read of this article: Towing mirrors

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

re title
gosh thought needed bags carrying was willing to get a passport and offer

grabs another jumper and thermals instead.

mirrors yes always best to fit, they improve visability and may make driving a little easier when changing lanes, reversing and checking eribas still there..

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:04 pm
by sleeping dog (deleted)

Thanks all for your prompt replies. Towing mirrors it is, another item on my list.

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

My (froggy) husband doesn't use mirrors. But, our steering wheel is on the right side of the car, if ou see what I mean so perhaps it's easier to have them with a right-hand drive car.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

And you both have perfect French so no problem explaining to the flick.

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Personally I don't believe it is a necessity and don't have any. I was given a set at the last meet but they are in the boot as a fail safe oops forgot mechanism. It's got to be some idle jobsworth to have a go. The pait I was givedn are such a fiddle to fit also and I ain't got the dexterity to do it and Carole hasn't got that or the enthusiasm either.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:29 am

I think that's a bit shortsighted, Derek, as irrespective of what you believe to be necessary, legal requirements should and will be enforced when they relate to the safety of other road users.

The danger is that if you do have the blind spot (as shown in the article that I linked to), you could well fail to see a cyclist or motorcyclist with potentially fatal results. Is it worth taking that risk for the sake of a £30 set of mirrors?

Another consideration is that if you did have an accident while towing without mirrors, your insurance company could argue that you failed to take all reasonable precautions to mitigate any loss and refuse to accept your claim.

The Milenco Aero mirrors clamp to the rims of your driving mirrors and are on and off in seconds. I have also found that if I fit them in the same position each time they seldom need adjusting. There are lots of other mirror systems that attach with rubber suckers and elastic straps so finding a pair that are suitable should not be a problem.

Forum Administrator
Keith and Sue and highmiler like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:47 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.524 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate here and in Derek's defence. Derek has a PuckL, when we had ours we didn't need mirrors (we did check using the diagram of visibility required). Now we have the 420GT we do need(and use) towing mirrors and have the excellent Milenco Aero mirrors. Maybe like us Derek does have the required visibility. Having said all that for the sake of road safety and the cost of the mirror's its not worth the hassle IMHO.

Triton 420GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Fair comment, Julie.

I suppose it all depends on the combination of car and caravan. Whether Plod would take the same attitude though is a moot point.

Forum Administrator
Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12786 topics and 107393 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7