Corrosion to front

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:20 pm
by Wilson (deleted)

Hi , it appears that possibly due to stone chips there is oxidation under the panel(not corrosion)top coat, was thinking of wrapping lower front, has any body else suffered,regards garry

Scroll up

RE: Corrosion to front

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi Wilson,

Just sussed your emblem, Tom Hanks etc/ Castaway?
Not quite sure where you mean but some vans suffer with lacquer cracking on the front fairing, is this what you mean?
The only way top rectify this is to rub down and re lacquer.

Highmiler
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:23 pm
by DBVWT (deleted)

If you are referring to the lower silver panels either side of the gas locker then this seems quite a common problem although I'm not sure of the actual cause.
I'm new to Eriba ownership this year (2005 Puck) but when viewing vans at the big Eriba dealer Automotive Leisure, a lot of their second hand vans were suffering this issue.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:55 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

I think it's caused by a bimetallic reaction between aluminium and steel and it's more prevalent on the front, especially the gas locker, because of exposure to the elements and metal movement.

I'm sure I'll get an argument here for although I've spent many years in the steel and aluminium industries, I'm not a metallurgist.

What I do know is that a lot of Eribas suffer from the same complaint in varying degrees and it is not necessarily age dependent. Our '99 Troll is just showing small signs of it happening on the bottom centre of the gas locker but I know of folk on here who have experienced the problem on much newer vans.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:50 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.630 Posts

somebody once suggested using clear nail varnish if the original lacquer is chipped

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:28 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

All the vans I have owned (3) have suffered from the same problem. Some say its stone chips but I wonder if it not something to do with Diesel exhaust fumes affecting the lacquer somehow ? My first Triton seemed to have more pitting to the nearside where the exhaust was.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:23 pm
by DBVWT (deleted)

Eribanut.... I'm no expert on such matters but I would tend to agree that the issue is not generally related to stone chips. The majority of cases I've seen seem to be affected around the edges of the metal, my gut feeling is some kind of reaction is responsible (as mentioned) but I've no idea what!!
I'm surprised the cause has not been found as it seems to be a big issue??

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:07 am
by Deeps (deleted)

If it's 'white rust' that is being referred to here then I feel pretty sure that I've read somewhere, possibly in the manual somewhere, that this can be removed using stainless steel cleaner. Even if this solution works I can only see it being effective over small areas and even then when the 'white rust' is in the early stage of development.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:11 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

This is an interesting Paper on the subject of Bimetalic reaction.

A lot of it is way above my head but section 2 and 3.1 are interesting. Just my opinion but salt water and I suspect wet, salted roads are particularly suspect.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:50 pm
by SkodaStan (deleted)

My 2007 triton is suffering on both side panels and the gas locker door, had a gentle go at it with 800 wet and dry, but it would only remove surface white deposit. The panel is marked under the surface and will need renewing!
SkodaStan

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107568 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4