Omnistore Awning Room

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

When we purchased our new to us 2004 Triton 420 from AL it came fitted with a manual type Omnistore pull out sun awning, also given to us by AL was an awning room kit. We haven't tried this out yet as I've been on my own on the first 2 trips but as we will both be at the EOC meet in Devon we will try it out then.

However, we have absolutely no idea how it goes up, other than a couple of YouTube videos on different types of Omnistore awnings and and an exploded parts diagram the interweb has drawn a blank.

Does anyone have a link to the instructions for these rooms, I think it must be a Safari room as this was listed as fitting this type of awning or if you are going to the Devon Rally, a copy I could peruse before we provide hours of merriment for the onlookers as we try and get it up.

Chris

Triton 420 following a Land Rover Defender 110 Station Wagon or 90 Soft Top
Scroll up

RE: Omnistore Awning Room

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:03 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I'm voting for the hours of merriment option!

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

PooleDweller, Poptop320 and Pepé Le Pew like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:28 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

What exactly did you get with your safari room? Poles, 2 sides and a front? and pegs, I hope!

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

That's not very helpful Frantone, however I suggest you bring your chairs and drinks, you could be in for long show 😀

I've got what I suspect to be the two two part extrusions that go against the van, and the two three part extrusions that form the end rafters. In addition there are a number of square section extrusions and round steel poles with hooks in them, I have no idea what they are for or where they go, maybe roof tensioning rafters? and some figure of eight plastic strips which must be for joining the side to the front?
There are two sides and a front canvas. They've got ladder adjusters on them. I've no shortage of pegs luckily, as there were none with it.
I must say that it all looks/feels very substantial.
I've sent an Email to Thule enquiringly about erection (ooh err missus) so am awaiting their reply.

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Chris

I had a Safari Room on a previous motorhome, it was a Fiammi, and it sounds like it had the same 'features' as the Safari Room design I had. I'm now recalling a process we did once some 14 years ago!!

Lets first consider the metal frame. This probably has two roof side ridge poles, two leg poles and one front roof pole - so you have a structure that supports the side panels and front panel.

First - the side poles. If I recall these were expandable - that is they had the ability to tension canvas. Now on my motor home there were two green plastic locator 'plates' - about 25mm square, that were stuck at each end in the awning housing and used to position the end of the two side roof ridge poles. Now I assume you don't have these and probably one end of a roof pole has some sort of protection as it will have to rest against the side of the van as it is tensioned.

The figure of 8 tubes you have are to join the front panel to the two side panels - which you need to do before pegging,

The clips on the side panels clip around the side roof ridge poles. However, you first wrap the roof panel around the pole before putting the clips over the side poles to form a seal.

Now I have to confess that the front panel, to this day remains unused and is still in its original packaging, but I expect the process of sealing the roof line is the same.

Hope this helps

We could have a go at putting it up at the EOC Meet next week if you are keen to put on a show?

Robin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:38 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the info and the offer of help, I may take you up on that! As of yet I haven't had a chance to lay out the various metalwork next the van with the awning extended, hopefully it may become a bit clearer when I can see where the various plastic ends fit into/onto the cassette holder and front bar, I don't think I have any extra legs, or at least not 2 of them! For the front, I assumed that front sides of the side panels joined, as you say with the figure of eight plastic strips, round the existing legs? Could one of the square section poles be a centre pole to allow a doorway on the front?

Without the "official" instructions, I think it will be a case of suck it and see, here's hoping for no wind!

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Chris

I'm quite sure we can sus it out next week. Of course, silly me, your awning will have the two legs so its really how are the side roof bars held in place? What I forgot to ask was is it a bagged awning or is it the standard Omnistor awning that you wind out?

Robin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:01 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi Robin,

It's an Omnistore 2000 pull out awning in a solid cassette, it's not wind out, you release catches on the ends of the cassette and manually pull it out. Looks very similar to the wind out type.

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Does this help:- http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/thre...ari-room.13691/

There may well be some videos on YouTube if you have a look there too?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 02, 2017 7:02 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Thanks for the links. I've looked at the various YouTube videos and whilst they are a bit newer than our awning(room) but they have given me a rough idea how it should go together if I have the correct fittings on the awning cassette and front bar that is.
I heard back from Thule, they were good enough to send me a PDF of instructions for the awning room specifically designed for the 2000 awning - it's totally different from what I've got, it appears a lot simpler and less "engineered" than the one I have.
So, we'll see how we get on later this week.

Chris

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107568 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5