Refurb front marker lights

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Hi. The front marker light on my Troll is damaged and looks as though it's about to fall apart. The pale grey moulding is supplied in dark grey and quite expensive (£60) so I'm thinking of removing the old unit and refurbishing it. Maybe reinforcing it with glass fibre mattingfullsizeoutput_6cdc.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) on the inside and repainting the outside of the cover.

Does anyone know how to remove it and also what the correct paint code is?

Last edited Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm | Scroll up

RE: Refurb front marker lights

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm
by cabbie37 | 688 Posts

The perceived wisdom is the colour is RAL9007. However, when I did some refurbishment on my 2002 Troll (that looks as if it is the same age as your van?) it was apparent that the original paint had aged and was not a perfect match with the new paint. However, I soon got over it....

Kam likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

I don't think £60 is quite expensive, I think it's painfully expensive and I would also be considering a refurb.
As cabbie says, even if you supposedly get the "correct" colour it will stand out. Why not do both sides, strengthen and repaint the pair so they match and then it would not matter.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Kam, Simboc2004, cruickie and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Colin is right in my opinion. I had an issue with my front lights took the plastic off and reinforced with GPS. Got some paint from local motor factors which is a good match and will post tomorrow if you want. My problem was getting the ‘top hat’ screw fittings that hold the plastic to the van. They are a bugger to get at the screw heads and I couldn’t help but damage them getting at the screws. Luckily got them from ALV.

Kam and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

Derek, what are the top hat screws. Any idea you could post a picture.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Would be very interested to hear more about how you did it Derek and to know what top hat screws are.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:15 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

I think I’ve ‘jumped the gun’ again! My 2015 Troll has different light mountings (see photo) but I think the principle might be the same. I got some GRP and resin from a motor factors and after I removed the light and the plastic mounting I reinforced from behind and filled the cracks in the mounting with Isopon filler. After rubbing down I undercoated and finished with the paint in the pic which is a very good match. You can see the ‘top hat’ fittings in the photos which, if anyone has the same model as mine, I can honestly say they are a right pain to remove. I can recommend the use of GRP it really does strengthen up any plastic fitting, any motor factors should be able to supply you with all you need even the paint. Good luck with your repair and I hope this helps with anyone else with fittings like my Troll.8D27E5E0-A004-4FF3-A800-8A03333B2ABA.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)3FF80EEC-4EFA-415F-B1D1-252C3B38ACF3.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Sulphurman, Inspecta_Gadget and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 11:55 am
by zceadog (deleted)

How did you get the 'tophats' and screw covers off without damage? Did you have to replace them and if so, can you tell me where you got them from please?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 11:09 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 299 Posts

Hi, I think Derek said ALV in post #4 but I’ve just searched eBay for ‘plastic rivets grey’ and there are plenty to choose from once I’ve checked the measurements.👍

This has inspired me to reinforce the fairings on my Troll before they get damaged.

Last edited Wed May 11, 2022 11:16 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1