Which Alko Hitch coupling replacement?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:38 am
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Hello,

If I were to replace the Alko Hitch coupling on our recently acquired Familia Pan Duo (circa 2000), can anyone please help identify which one I should buy? I've attached some photos showing its current condition / details. If it's possible to tell from a photo would you say it's due a replacement or is its condition good enough to leave it as it is? Just to recap, we're totally new to caravanning and I've read on here that a stabiliser hitch isn't really necessary on these small vans. And we've not even towed him yet, but we're working up to that and just want to make sure we're as safe as possible for when we do.

Thanks

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_20220420_103533 - Copy.jpg 
 IMG_20220420_103725 - Copy.jpg 
 IMG_20220420_104001 - Copy.jpg 
 IMG_20220420_104030 - Copy.jpg 

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:20 pm | Scroll up

RE: Which Alko Hitch coupling replacement?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:20 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.096 Posts

I think the last 2 pictures identify your coupling. The other plate is for the chassis.

Here are 2 suppliers which will can advise you

https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/

Beware of removing the rear retaining bolt without watching this video. This applies to either a basic coupler or a stabilising one. Don't forget to use new high tensile locking nuts and tighten to the correct torque. You can cut a spare bolt down to use as a pin described in the video.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:26 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:22 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The coupling you have fitted is the Al-Ko AK160. The red bumper cover is optional and can be transferred to the new on if you replace it.

It's impossible to determine the condition of yours by the photos, but try the following checks:

The handle should lock in the upwards position when pulled up. If not, the locking pawl and spring may just need a good clean and lubrication from a spray can of light oil.

When coupled to your towball the handle should drop down of it's own volition and the coupling should positively lock onto the towball.

There shouldn't be any discernible vertical play when trying to lift it.

As it doesn't have a stabiliser, your towball will need a smear of grease.

If all ok it should be good to go.

Steve and Debbie and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:24 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:25 pm
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Thanks Steve & John for replying,

I see now - the AK 160 marking seems to identify the part. A search on the sites you linked to show this part as now obsolete but they helpfully state that the AL-KO AK161 replaces it. I'll give them a call to make sure I get the right part and anything else I'll need (bolts, nuts, pin, bellow etc).

Dan

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:27 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:47 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The coupling bolts are 8.8 grade and should be tightened with a torque wrench to 86 Nm. The original bolts can be used but fit new nyloc nuts.

The overun damper is held in by the coupling's rear bolt. You'll need to drift a steel dowel through it (the same width as the drawbar) when knocking out the rear bolt otherwise it will spring forward and it's the devil's own job to get it back and lined up.

Have you checked the damper is working correctly? Push the coupling back as far as it will go and when released it should move all the way forward on its own.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:47 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:14 pm
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Thanks for the replies. Useful information for me to know about the bolts grade and torque should I replace the hitch coupling. @JohnE - I've just checked the damper and I pushed the coupling back as far as I could but it didn't seem to move forward on its own (unless it's very slow?).

Dan

Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:16 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:54 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Dan, if the damper pushes back without too much grunt then it needs replacing otherwise on braking the caravan will bang into the back of the car.

If it needs a fair bit of effort to push it back but doesn't come forward then the nylon drawtube bushes will have swollen and will need carefully reaming out.

Although the correct (expensive) reamer tool should be used, I've had success with a drill flapper wheel of suitable diameter (and attached to a 20mm extension to get to the rear bush).

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0