Painting the inside of the door

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:05 pm
by Stan Doori | 223 Posts

Has anyone painted the inside of the main door successfully? Ours is discoloured and has faded in places. What sort of paint did anyone use please?

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
Scroll up

RE: Painting the inside of the door

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.505 Posts

Stan, you may find that either a tile and melamine primer or multi surface primer will stick to the plastic. It is then a matter of choosing a finish to go over the top. This should really be an acrylic or water based finish as these are more flexible than oil based and also tend to be more colourfast.
I would not however bother, I'd just leave it, as you will not get the colour match correct and Im guessing the surface finish would not be as good as you hoped it would.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Stan Doori likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

On any plastic you must use an etch primer. You will be able to buy this from car paint suppliers and you should be able to get a good paint match. The trouble is you need to be good at spray painting to get a good finish. If you are not able to spray you could take off the door and get it done professionally. A costly process and as Colin suggests, think carefully before you go ahead and cost it out.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank you for the replies. On balance I don't reckon I will be painting the door. Will think of something to cover the areas which are discoloured.

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé

Last edited Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:15 pm

In the good old days you could buy some Blue Peter style sticky back plastic.
How about a trip to your local sigh writer for some coloured adhesive film?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:15 pm
by Simboc2004 | 749 Posts

What colour were the inner doors originally? It's hard to tell from looking at them and I don't recall ever seeing a non-faded one! I intend to do mine; I have some experience with spraying, so should be able to do a good job. One of my grey shelf supports is damaged, so I need to replace/fix that as well. both require removal of the door liner, so that seems to make sense :-))

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 pm

If you want an idea of original colour, pre-shading, the attached are of my 2001 Triton photographed in 2003. I've included the bathroom as the plastics in there also fade, but to a lesser extent.

KIF_0085-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)wc.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:52 pm

Very pale cream, then... almost nothing else that colour in my 2005 Triton, so I'm tempted to colour match to the pale grey door handle, which looks a bit strange on the almost yellow door liner...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:59 pm

The door was basically a warm/off white. I would not attempt to take it back to this colour. I would aim to match or compliment something the eye was drawn to in the van.

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:42 pm

This shows the door as it was when we bought the van. The worst bits are under the badges which a previous owner had stuck on with blutak. It needs something doing with it, just not sure what! Screenshot_20220421-223654.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:41 am

Next option as you obviously really want to do something. Lift the door off the hinge pins, put it ino the back of the car and take it to a car spray shop and ask what they can do and ho much.

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:10 am
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

I haven't painted my Eriba door, however I successfully spray painted my white fitted bedroom furniture doors about 5 years ago which had gone yellow with the sunlight. I used Platikote paint which is made for spraying onto plastic, it has been very durable with no chips or scratches.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:41 pm

Anyone know how to remove the door liner complete? or is it far easier just to mask up in situ? I'd prefer to remove it as spraying would be better when it's horizontal...

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107398 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2