Gas bottles in France

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:47 pm
by AlanC | 107 Posts

We have recently returned from France where we had a small issue with our gas supply. We use a FloGas 6Kg Net Propane bottle that ran out quite early on. Luckily we also carry a smaller 3Kg Net propane FloGas bottle as a backup.

Easy I thought, just pop along to the nearest supplier and buy a replacement bottle which we can keep at home during the winter and use when we next travel to France.

That didn't work out as the smallest size Propane bottle I could find was 13 kg Net and bigger in diameter than I thought the locker would hold.

So my question is, what size gas tanks do Eriba owners on the continent use? Is it the bigger 13 Kg Net bottle, which I could have bought, or did I miss finding a supplier that stocked the smaller 6 Kg Net bottle we normally use in the UK?

I went to my local FloGas depot today to exchange the empty bottle and was told they are no longer selling to new clients as they have run low on gas bottles and are backed up refurbishing their stock. They will only exchange empty bottles for existing clients. My depot in Avonmouth only had 3 x 6 Kg Propane bottles in stock.

Clearly, FloGas are doing well out of the Calor Gas chaos!

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Scroll up

RE: Gas bottles in France

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

I recall seeing 6 or 7 kg bottles in French outlets. I believe some of the bottles take the 27mm clip on fitting used on some bottles. I don't think you will be able to buy a French bottle/contract as you would probably need a French address.
We have always carried a 6kg UK bottle and a back up of a Campingaz 907. These will fit side by side in your gas locker with ease. We do not use much gas as try to do as much as we can on electric and as such 6kg lasts about 5 or 6 seasons. The advantage of a Campingaz 907 is the ready availability throughout Europe in supermarkets and on campsites, although it is an expensive way of buying gas.

Due to the games Calor are now playing with my Calorlite I'm keeping an eye out for an empty Flogas 6kg so I'm prepared when the time comes

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:25 pm
by cabbie37 | 689 Posts

I'm still looking for my replacement Primagaz and although the brand does appear on garage and supermarket forcourts in France, the bottles are a difffernet size - that large 'domestic' ones as Alan found then the dumpy 'Twinny' variety. So I'm still looking for my replacement.. I'm guessing Holland will be the ony place..

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:59 pm
by Randa france | 13.204 Posts

We only carry 2 x 907 Camping Gaz both at home and abroad. So easy to replace at most large European Super Stores.

In saying that and like Colin we are very successful at not using them when electricity is free.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:31 pm
by AlanC | 107 Posts

I was more puzzled by not being able to find the smaller 6 Kg Propane bottles in southern Brittany.
It hadn't occurred to me that we may have needed a local address though.

I have a 'Belt and Braces' mindset so we also had the smaller Propane 3 Kg tank for making tea and a Cobb on board. So all was well.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107694 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0