Well, that's a first for me.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 21, 2024 10:19 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

Our usual practice when caravanning in the UK is to book the first site and then on the night before departure go onto the club websites and desperately search for somewhere else that can accommodate us for a few more nights. Weekends are always a problem and even out of season the honey pot sites are generally out of the question.

This time however I have been very grown up and sensible and pre-booked pitches at three campsites for our first short break of the year which starts on Thursday. The first night we'll be at C&CC St Neots which is about half way to our destination, then four nights over the Bank Holiday weekend at a small private site in Howden in East Yorkshire. On the way back we will be spending three nights at C&CC Winchcombe near Tewkesbury, an area we don't know and again about half way home.

I'm always worried that things can change suddenly and as has happened before we've had to abort half way through a tour due to medical issues. Still, stress levels are now much lower and hopefully we can look forward to a more relaxing break than is the norm.

Maybe there is something in this planning malarkey? If all goes well I may even give some thought to 'planning' another continental trip in September.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Islay, SOULBLUESMAN68 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Well, that's a first for me.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 21, 2024 11:23 am
by Old Rocker | 528 Posts

Winchcombe nice site Brian but quite small pitches if I remember correctly. I think there is a new distance footpath right outside the gate and Winchcombe is a pleasant place to visit.
We visited Sudeley Castle had a good walk around the grounds, as a Yorkshireman with deep pockets, we didn't pay to go into the castle
We keep threatening to go back to the site to do a bit more exploring of that area

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 21, 2024 8:31 pm
by Frantone | 112 Posts

St Neots has been closed for weeks due to flooding.
I hope it’s open now but I would not be booking a grass pitch.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 21, 2024 11:02 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

Bugger! It was flooded when we were there a few years back but the hardstandings were fine. We are on a hardstanding so fingers crossed it will be OK.

Thanks for the heads up, Tony. Hope you and Frances are both well.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Frantone likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 21, 2024 11:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 22, 2024 4:10 pm
by Frantone | 112 Posts

Re St Neots C&CC:
We were called by the ‘wardens’ one evening whilst in the nearby Chinese restaurant (Yum Yum?) telling us to return to move our caravan as the site was flooding. Frances insisted on finishing her toffee banana dessert before wandering back over the road to find the whole site under water apart from the reception area where we were allowed to pitch up for the night.
The Ouse river authority had not issued any warning of floods!
There was a lone motorhome up to its wheel arches in water but we were the only other customers.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
Bryn and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107694 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0