Using popup gazebo as awning?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:30 pm
by Sticky540 | 21 Posts

Hi folk, We have just taken delivery of a new 540 (out first Eriba) and were considering using our existing pop up gazebo as a awning. It has zip in sides so we have full flexibility. Was thinking of getting some awning tape to fit in the runner and then attach velcro tabs to link to gazebo frame.
Would welcome comments/experiences on this approach please.

Scroll up

RE: Using popup gazebo as awning?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:14 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.163 Posts

Hi Sticky

That might work for you on a calm day without any wind. The problem would be as soon as some wind blew up it might be too fragile and the wind might catch it and damage it, and possibly damage your Troll as well. The problem is that the wind can suddenly gust when you are offsite or at night _ so speaks one who had to drop his canopy at Meathop Fell Site suddenly in the early hours in torrential rain & wind which took one of the poles down and scratched the side of the van, dressed in boxer shorts and a T-shirt!!!!!

A number of us have a few different awnings that we use according to the forecasted weather and time of year. We use three different ones.

In summer we often use an Isabella Shadow Sun Canopy but this can be prone to coming down in very windy weather or if there is torrential rainfall. But it's great in that you can put it up in 5 minutes

if we are staying for a few nights in Spring Summer and early Autumn we use our fairly lightweight Sunncamp Vareo. This is great and can stand up to most things.

If we are going somewhere very windy such as Walney Island we use our Kampa/Dometic PopAir. 365. This takes a time to put up but being an Air beam it has so far stood up to everything nature has thrown at it. (bizaarely we currently have two of these but that is another story.....!)

If you are going to buy an awning I would suggest that you have a good look round at alternatives that would meet your needs.

Good luck
MikeT

Sticky540 and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:43 pm
by Sticky540 | 21 Posts

Good advice...thanks

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:48 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

I agree with Mike, you really need an awning that is made for the job otherwise you are asking for disaster.

Our van and awning are now more than 20 years old and technology and design have certainly moved on. We also bought a sun canopy which we have used in hot weather on the continent but we often find the old Soplair to be a more practical option as its sides and front can be rolled down partially or removed totally to improve ventilation whereas the canopy is always open to the elements - which can change very rapidly.

One note of caution, we were chatting to the owners of a newish Troll 530 last week which had an airbeam awning attached. Unfortunately I can't remember the make or model but they told us that they are very disappointed with it as it cannot be used in wet weather due to water penetration down the side of the van despite the use of a hard plastic weather strip in the gutter. It appears that this is due to the rubber cord in the awning fabric that slides into the awning rail being too small in diameter, 6mm instead of 8mm. I may be wrong on these dimensions but it would certainly pay to check before making a purchase. I'm sure someone on here, Colin or Andy for example will be able to advise on this.

Calderlogue2226.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Soplair awning fully erected

Awning03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Awning in sunshade mode

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Sticky540 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:34 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.163 Posts

I have always loved the look of this awning Aaron

Last June we bought a new model Kampa/Dometic PopAir 365 with the annexe & canopy so our grandchildren could stay with us & it worked brilliantly. (This was to replace our original model 365 which had worked well for a number of seasons) A side bonus is that the annexe side can zip out along with the full front. This has a bonus with the sun canopy of giving a much larger area to sit in the shade and get a breeze through. However it cost over £1500 - ouch.

I think I remember Colin saying one time that the curves on the Tourer make it prone to dribles down the van side in heavy rain evn if the kedder threads had expanded by damp. On both out 365s we have had minimal dribbles using the white plastic weather strip.

MikeT

Sticky540 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 56 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0