Another one off the snagging list - well, partly.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:11 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

Every time we go away in the van, without fail I come back with a snagging list of jobs to do, some major and some thankfully quite small. For some time now I have been putting off doing something about the badly deteriorating clear coat lacquer on some of the plastic trim as I know what a pain it will be to put right to an acceptable standard. Anyway, this time I decided to bite the bullet, gird the loins and grow a pair and see if I could sort out the offside rear light cover that was in a truly awful condition.

Rear light01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
In this shot you can see how the clear coat has separated from the plastic and water has got behind it. The only answer was to strip off the old lacquer, prepare the surface and spray on a new protective finish. How difficult can it be?

Rear light05.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
This is the capped panhead screw and washer that was holding the cover in place. The white cover that once was chrome finished fell apart when I touched it and the screw and washer had clearly seen better days.

Rear light02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Once the lenses had been removed from the two light units, the wires could be pulled off the terminals. I wrote the wire colours on the rear of the bulb holders to avoid mistakes later.

Rear light03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The light units are secured by nuts and metal plates accessed from the inside of the van after a plastic cover and rear bench support have been removed. This releases the plastic cover which can now be removed.

Rear light04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
With the plastic cover removed it can be prepared for spraying. A lot of the lacquer could be removed by carefully working a Stanley knife blade between it and the plastic and flaking it off but some was stuck like faecal matter to a bedsheet and had to be laboriously sanded off. This was a real pain to do. I used 600, 1000 and 1500 grade wet and dry paper with a dash of washing up liquid in the water progressively until I had a smooth, scratch free plastic surface ready to spray.

Why didn't I use some sort of solvent to remove the lacquer? Well, all the advice I could find on t'Internet advised against it as it is apparently very easy to get it wrong and cock-up the plastic surface beyond redemption and I didn't dare take the risk.

One thing I found is that clear coat is very unforgiving and it runs at the slightest provocation which then requires more careful rubbing down and the spraying on of additional coats to put it right.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the result. It's not perfect but I know where to look and I'm pleased with the overall result. It's much better than it was.

Rear light01_2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Rear light06.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The finished job.

One thing I did notice was that the plastic which had a bronze tint was a uniform pale grey in colour underneath the lacquer which suggests that it is the lacquer that discolours over time and not the plastic as I had previously thought.

The screw I used to refix the plastic cover was 4.8mm x 32mm countersunk, stainless steel, self-tapping which I obtained from Amazon in a pack of 20. The snap-on covers also came from Amazon and were simply described as 'large, mid-grey.' I think they look pretty good.

What's next? Well, the front nearside marker light is in a similar condition (not too difficult) but the hitch fairings are looking pretty grim and I don't know if I will be able to do them.

Front fairing01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Front fairing02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Maybe it would be sensible to pay a professional to do these?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Another one off the snagging list - well, partly.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

That looks like a very nice job sir. You add should congratulate yourself and have a well deserved beverage.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Aaron Calder, Simboc2004 and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:48 pm
by Simboc2004 | 743 Posts

I have bought the (professional) 2 pack paint to do plastic parts with a similar degradation on our 2005 Triton. It has one sidelight surround, one sort of spoiler thing under the front on one side and one of the rear lamp clusters that have failed lacquer. I am emboldened by your super job done on your lamp unit and I will tackle my spray jobs as soon as... well, as soon as I summon up the time and courage. ..

And I used to work in a professional spray centre in an earlier life!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:49 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:55 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Brian. If I could have your address can I send two qty wheel spats for your attention please?
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:19 am

Brian,

These are the screw covers I bought from Amazon. I couldn't work out how to post a picture in a PM! I bought so many different covers trying to find ones that would fit the various differing locations on our Triton. You'd have thought standardisation would help in production!

Colours never seem to match online photos, I have found. And stainless steels vary tremendously, as do the way they describe size/rate and length.

Cheers,
Simon

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2024-06-09 at 11.08.48.png 

Aaron Calder, Rabi53120 and John Cross like this post!
Last edited Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:21 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:23 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.163 Posts

Very impressive job done there AC - on the photos it looks a professional job

MikeT

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:32 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.741 Posts

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #3
I am emboldened...
You can't say that on here.

It's rude.

Isn't it?

Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:25 am
by addisb | 177 Posts

Hats off sir ! That is one really neat job. Well done.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:22 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.029 Posts

That looks excellent. Time to hire a work unit and a spray painter, there's several decades of Eribas needing your attention. Could be a nice little earner.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:19 pm

This bit was much easier to do as I didn't have to find a way to hold it while spraying and I did it without getting any runs:

Front light01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Front light02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:29 pm

I have finally got around to painting the worst of the silver painted parts that had deteriorated. I bought 2K paint last year and have been putting the job off. It was interesting, having taken off the sidelight housing, to find a sticker stating colour and month/year of manufacture. Definitely a mid-2005 build of my caravan, depending on lead time in the Eriba plant.

The lacquer had largely parted company with the body of the unit and I was able to persuade most of it to come off with a new, very sharp knife blade, and then sanded it down where it had been out of the sun (under the seal). At the same time I tackled the spoiler/fairing part beneath it that had become discoloured, though the lacquer was still intact. I just flatted it off with wet and dry paper, before spraying both with primer. And then the top coat.

The job went well - now just to tackle the rear light unit...

And i need to remake the gasket, which had deteriorated (and, basically, shrunk) around the edges where it had been exposed to the elements. I finally managed to source some white closed-cell EVA foam to make a new gasket from, but it is, of course, only available in 2 metre lengths!

Attached pictures:
 IMG_4975.JPG 
 IMG_4976.JPG 
 IMG_4977.JPG 
 IMG_4978.JPG 
 IMG_5040.JPG 
 IMG_5041.JPG 
 IMG_5045.JPG 
 IMG_5046.JPG 
 IMG_5047.JPG 
 IMG_5048.JPG 
 IMG_5049.JPG 

Last edited Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:58 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:06 pm

Very smart!

So, sometime between 2002/2003 and mid 2005 a move was made from simply clear coating coloured plastic to clear coating over a sprayed silver finish? Was this the case for all models I wonder?

I think I've buggered up my shoulder with all the repetitive sanding butI still need to remove/ flatten/ feather-in the big bits off the front before spraying and reassembling. I'm beginning to wish I'd never started.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:00 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.096 Posts

Maybe pre 2003/2004 Hymer used pre-coloured plastic as it's first attempt to modernise the styling. Then on later models changed to painting them to save money without knowing there would be historic reaction to the lacquer. But is the lacquer the problem or the combination, ie if you re lacquer should you paint the plastic first?
Steve

Last edited Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:01 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:13 am

They wouldn't lacquer a self-coloured plastic part - and the plastic itself is great for painting, so i think it was painted, then lacquered. It's definitely the lacquer that's the problem with my caravan at least. It doesn't like the UV in sunlight and breaks down gradually. I'm intrigued as to whether the lovely pearlescent effect on the wheel arch spats and some light fittings is actually an accidental result from the degradation over twenty years +... The colour listed on the moulding - and the colour now on the parts I have sprayed - is the same as the sides of the caravan. When new, it was probably all painted to match. A bit like the bronze window effect - they didn't look like that when new - just look at a 2004/2005 brochure and the windows are all grey...

On to the gasket, which, as you will see from the photos, had suffered blackening and erosion of the edge - well the foam I ordered arrived and it's very similar to the original material. I made a thick card template and cut out a couple of replacements using a scalpel and a hole punch. All looks good and will be installed when i get a chance. I had to buy 2m of the stuff, so can make some for anybody who has need...!

Attached pictures:
 IMG_5045 2.JPG 
 IMG_5086.JPG 
 IMG_5090.JPG 
 IMG_5092.JPG 

Doonhamer and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:21 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:14 pm

Well, it's not perfect (it was too far gone for that) but it is one Hell of a lot better than it was.

Clearcoat01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Clearcoat02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Now only the front apron remains to be sprayed. Most of the preparation is done, it just needs finishing off and refitting. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0