Sat Nav choice

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:35 am
by greenman | 18 Posts

Hi. Has any member any experiences/choice of "caravan" sat nav's. There's many about typically listed as for caravan but there description covers truck & bus etc. with the option of input of vehicle & unit length, width etc. Other more well known & more expensive brands show car & caravan as option, some of which include all campsite locations whereas the "cheaper" sat nav's do not. This is in hope of making it easier for me whilst driving as my navigator is finding it harder to map read etc whilst driving. I'll continue to look up intended routes on maps etc & not rely on sat nav's for the final approach to any site/destination.

thanks in advance

Mark

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:36 am | Scroll up

RE: Sat Nav choice

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:29 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

Mark, I like sat-navs, yes they make strange decisions at times to but less than me or my lovely wife.
I have been using one of the older C&MC Avtex/Garmin versions for some years. I like it because of the large screen, live traffic in the UK, database of campsites, facility to put combination details, maps updated for free several times a year etc. I believe it also uses the same mapping as the viamichelin website.
The younger folk and hip/trendy/with it older members would probably advise a phone app such as Waze, but I'm sticking with what I have as it works fine for me, 99% of the time.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:21 pm
by Captain Calamity | 356 Posts

I have tried a quick test. Co-pilot GPS versus Viamichelin. The route was short, Alnwick to Amble (9.9 miles) and one I do regularly. Co-pilot , set to my van details offered one route, in my opinion the only suitable caravan route, and Viamichelin, set to “caravan” offered two routes, one of which would be a little difficult towing. Co-pilot adds 10% in terms of time, when towing which I think is nearer the mark. I quite like Co-pilot and will use it over the next two days on my trip to Calais. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Kevin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:46 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

I always write out a route plan based on a road atlas when towing to ensure that we stay on main roads as all too often we've been taken down unsuitable roads by sat-navs.

I use either Waze or Google maps on my phone while driving but always opt for the handwritten route should any confusion arise. The directions for finding some sites often say 'do not use sat-nav' so I also write down their instructions on my route plan.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:02 pm
by Islay | 294 Posts

We also use copilote. You can choose the type of roads you want to privilege while you're driving - for example you can tell it to prefer motorways and to avoid county roads.... none of them are perfect but it's not bad. Here, it costs about 30E per year.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:06 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

For years we used the VW built in Sat nav that came with the car.
After a while we started having problems with it and also it was very expensive to buy updated software for new countries.

The missus then started and still does use Google maps on the phone which once activated will continue giving directions when off line but will not give any immediate diviations to the route in the event of a hold up etc.
However I missed seeing the map unfold on the screen so we bought a Nav Pal satnav with 7" screen and great graphics a few years ago and it does fine and gives all we want. Fab price too.
She still uses her Google though as back up.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:05 pm
by 2eZero | 18 Posts

Garmin Dezl Truck SatNav. 770 I think. Nice big screen.

I also have the Garmin Overlander to use with the 4x4 & Eriba.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:52 am
by Old Rocker | 526 Posts

I have a Snooper Ventura SatNav
Gives the.option of with or without caravan and you can imput details of your outfit so it knows which roads it can take you.when towing
CMC CCC and ACSI come already installed. Speed cameras for UK, free european map updates and shows speed limits and GPS speed
Well pleased this is my second

https://gb.snooper.eu/

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:22 pm
by AlanC | 104 Posts

I use the Avtex sat nav by Garmin, marketed by the Caravan and Motorhome Club designed specifically for caravan users.

I had one issue with it navigating a plain screen last year. This turned out to be the micro memory card I had bought which holds the map graphics and had corrupted. This had nothing to do with the Sat Nav, and once the card was replaced it has worked perfectly since.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 64 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0