Sagging overhead lockers (2023 model)?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:30 pm
by Edwin | 18 Posts

Hi all,
We just took our new 2023 530 on our first trip to Finland. Upon arrival at our first campground, we discovered the two lockers over the bed in the rear were open and wouldn't latch anymore. A bit of inspection revealed the bottom plank (on which the doors are hung) had slightly separated from the bulkhead in the centre and was sagging just enough that the latches wouldn't engage. A shove upwards lifted the shelf just enough that the doors now stay shut. I found similar sagging on the left-hand locker at the very front.
A quick trip to the hardware store for a glue clamp and ten minutes with the leatherman for some modifications let me clamp the bottom plank to the aluminium rail, so the problem is solved while in transit.

My question is whether this is a known issue and whether there's a proper fix for it? Our dealer here in Sweden will look at the issue (I've highlighted it as a warranty issue) but it looks like either a construction flaw, in which case the dealer will fix it an all will be well, or it could be a design flaw, in which case I suspect I will need to stock a supply of angle brackets and self-tapping screws in the future...

Scroll up

RE: Sagging overhead lockers (2023 model)?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

The cabinetwork in general on post 2012 vans has not been what it should. Hymer/Eriba switched to a lower density plywood that has raised many problems. These have mainly been regarding fixings coming loose, but sagging cabinetwork has also been noted by owners.
I would strongly advise you push your dealer to have all of the effected parts replaced under warranty.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Edwin, SOULBLUESMAN68 and PiPi101 like this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:43 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:28 am
by Edwin | 18 Posts

Thanks - and absolutely. Having had a (not very close) look, it seems to me the problem isn't necessarily the cabinet material but rather fasteners that aren't up to the job. No doubt I'll learn more as it ages and the warranty expires ;)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:54 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Yes unfortunately that’s the reality of it we had a 2005 Troll it was a cracker built very well with excellent cabinets and wood. We now have a 2021 Troll it’s had little niggles I think all sorted now fingers crossed. I have done numerous upgrades that should have been standard when built. All down to cost hope you get sorted Steve

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Edwin likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 35 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0