Electric Hook Ups and Splitters

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:41 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

A couple of years ago we were told by a Warder (sorry Warden) on a C and MC Club site that we were not to use a splitter and that all EHU cables should run from post to van without a join (quote:- At Caravan Club sites no post is further than 25 metres from the pitch).

I argued that our seperate awning power lead had a circuit breaker on it (typical of tent camping power leads) so it's perfectly safe. No matter, the only way the CC allow power into the awning is through the caravan, by way of an extension cable if necessary.

Without going into huge detail, I was wondering how others get power into their awnings? If a straight forward extension cable is used, do you use a plug in circuit breaker.

One point to note: with our set up, if we do trip the circuit breaker, it is never on the van or awning side. It is always at the EHU post so are van side circuit breakers necessary?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: Electric Hook Ups and Splitters

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:36 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

I use two methods:-
- UK - 25m x 2.5mm 3 core flex, continuous lead from post to van. I have however swapped the caravan hook up end connector as here:- KAMPA MAINS COUPLER WITH 2 PIN EU SCHUKO SOCKET
This allows me to run an extension lead under the van into to the awning area if I can get away with it. I have not attempted this on a C&MC site as we generally do not give the robbers a chance to have our cash. I've also fitted a double socket inside my underbed and under seat hatches for use in the awning area. This is the one under the bed, which I usually leave a 3 pin plug in circuit tester in so I can check the site electrics:-
37-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
- France - 45m x 1.5mm 3 core flex, cable reel on end of lead to post. I fully unwind the drum and sit it in the awning area, under the van, or under my rear canopy. Basically anywhere away from possible rain. From here a 4m cable with 3 pin plug on one end and angled coupler as above connects into the vans hook up. With this set up and my inside hatch sockets my options are numerous. I go for the 45m length as on the continent a hook up post can be a considerable distance from your pitch. The 1.5mm wire section is also capable of taking 20 amps in an open situation, exceeding your highly unlikely 16 amp supply and far exceeding the usual 6 or 10 amp supply.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:48 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

As you suggest Colin, the problem with solution one is that those eagle eyed warders might spot the connection, especially as on our Puck the flap for the EHU is right on the front corner.

However, because you use a common or garden extension lead to run into your awning or anywhere that will remain dry, I think i'll go the same way but use a cunningly concealed splitter under the van somewhere.

Blimey, that 45 mettre cable must weigh a tonne. When abroad we use a 25 metre with no fear of connecting another to it if needs must. No problems abroad. I've even seen Madam and Monsieur LeClerc using ordinary extension cable from the ECU to the van or tent.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

The reel actually may be lighter due to the smaller copper section. No problem with weight anyway due to my ridiculous payload.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:21 pm
by addisb | 177 Posts

A previous owner of our caravan hard wired a 1 gang trailing socket that lives in the gear locker. Easily accessed when seated in the awning, it's 'as handy as a pocket in a shirt' for a toaster or awning heater or laptop etc. There's about a meter of cable available outside the locker.
Chris

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:10 am
by Simboc2004 | 743 Posts

I have had a hard-wired IP44 socket installed under my outside locker, behind the motor mover. I then had a short cable made up that goes to an IP66 rated outdoor socket that sits in the awning. Really easy to use and works really well. It was modelled on one that came with a previous Triton we owned. It towed through a torrential period of rain this week on the M3 and still worked perfectly on site. Apologies for the filthy caravan exterior - just back from a 700 mile round trip to Devon...

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_4955.JPG 
 IMG_4956.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:12 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 158 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0