Draw bar damper

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:53 pm
by zate24 | 25 Posts

Hi, Just come back from Kendal and when pulling up and pulling off I noticed a clunk from the back of my towing vehicle. I suspect that there is some play in the damping system on the hitch. I can push the tow bar in by hand and think I should not be able to do that, all of which points to something amiss in the draw bar system. Is there a replaceable damper in the draw bar? The Puck is 1992 which I think is on an alko chassis. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Peter

Scroll up

RE: Draw bar damper

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:52 am
by Simboc2004 | 743 Posts

Lots of info on here about this issue. Just use the Search function above (though I do find you need to be quite specific in your search words). This one might be the most helpful:

How to replace the Eriba braking damper

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:11 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Hi Peter.

The damper can be pushed in by hand but not with ease. It should then return back out slowly, of it's own accord. Try injecting grease into the two grease nipples on the top of the tow hitch. I don't know what the significance of these is as they are not directly linked to the interior of the damper but they lubricate the damper housing.

On a trip back from Scotland in 2022 I had a similar problem with our Troll and thought it was the damper but it turned out to be a brake drum that was badly worn.

Eriba damper or brakes?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:24 am
by zate24 | 25 Posts

Hi Randa,
I can push the tow hitch in very easy but it does not return out quickly. I did blather the grease nipples before I set off last Monday as part of my pre journey preparations. Maybe this points to the probability that the damper is worn out?
Peter

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:56 am

Yes, sounds like it.
Simon (Simboc 2004) has added a link to replacing a damper on a Puck L that I viewed and I also had experience of an engineer dismantling the one on my Troll.

A tricky job and it's also one where you need to get the old part in your hand to get reference to a suitable replacement. There are many different sizes around that can be bought on line but it'll mean your van will be laid up until you recieve the new part.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:57 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:44 am
by zate24 | 25 Posts

Hi Randa,
Looks like I will have to give the job to an engineer after studying the post. I am pretty good at building houses but not mechanical stuff now. There is also a lot of grease spinning out onto the wheels behind the trims. I could have put too much grease into the little cap that covers the bearing so I will get the engineer to check this too.
Peter

Randa france and Doonhamer like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:26 am

Can't blame you. It's not a job I would like to tackle unless you know of a good car mechanic with a fix anything attitude.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:28 pm
by Doonhamer | 82 Posts

As chance would have it, I replaced the damper of my 2001 Puck L a couple of days ago.

As can be seen from the photo there was quite a bit of disassembling ��.

PXL_20240719_082648980.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I'm not sure which damper model you will need to replace, but mine was a 359987.

Everything was either a 17mm or 19mm & deep sockets were needed.

It was one of those pig of a jobs that took 3 or 4 hours - including taking myself away to calm down - but having done it I could now do it in 30mins. Hopefully I can remember the knack when I have to do it next

2001 Super Puck chasing a Skoda Kamiq

Randa france, Dockmur and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:36 pm
by zate24 | 25 Posts

Thanks for the photo Doonhamer.
It confirms my theory that the job is best left to an engineer after seeing all those bits and pieces on the floor!!
Peter

Doonhamer and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 180 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1