Covers

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:18 pm
by Philvayro44@gmail.com | 32 Posts

Cover or not to cover. I've never covered british made caravans before is it more beneficial to cover Eriba vans other than to keep them clean is their a general concensus to cover in the winter time . Having said that protec have ceased taking orders till next year because of being bought out

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

RE: Covers

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

Phil, there is nothing specifically different about the Eriba meaning it is better to cover it more so than a "normal" caravan. I even covered ours when it was stored in the garage as it kept it free from the dust as I did a lot of woodwork. It really is nice at the start of the season to slip the cover off and find it sparkling. We live down a country lane in Devon with a lot of trees. When back from a trip I always put the cover back on.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
John Cross likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:17 am

So basically Colin it's more to keeping it clean rather than to keep out damp or god forbid water ingress .years ago we had a brand new Elddis xplore (awfull) and the salesman didn't advocate covers because of them creating damp because they stop ventilation.....mind you the Elddis was a terrible caravan anyway so I suppose its down to personal choice.

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:04 am

Yes, basically to keep your pride and joy clean. You will have no problems with ventilation during storage. The air vent over the top dinette/bed area at the back, along with the floor vents found behind the gas cooker, under the kitchen sink and seating areas allow air through.
Over winter some owners do crack a window open but I think most generally do not due to mice, insects etc. There are several forum threads on winter storage that it would be useful to read. Basically be extra vigilant on water drain down as taps can freeze, don't bother with a dehumidifier as you are constantly drawing fresh air in. Heaters also obviously raise the air temperature and warm air carries more moisture than cold.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:07 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:45 am

In my last white box sounds daft but I used to mut my mouth over the taps and blow down like a trumpet take the shower head off and blow down the pipe don't know if it got rid of water around the taps all I can say I never had problems with frozen taps

Crinkles on tour
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:24 am
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

Just my take on it, I have been covering my Eribas since 2010 during the winter months. The debate is usually that caravans are designed to live outside in all weathers which is correct, however the elements do have a detrimental effect on the vans. The cover will stop the danger of water freezing and blowing any external joints and causing water leaks, if you are near trees it avoids leaves rotting on the roof and staining it with tannings that are released. The roof is made from GRP with a gel coating, the gel coating is very susceptible to UV damage and will go chalky the more it is exposed to sunlight. If you give the van a good wash before you put on the cover it will be just as clean when you take it off a few months later.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:17 pm
by John Cross | 270 Posts

We covered our last wwb, a Lunar Lexon, we had it from 6 months old to 13 years old and it was always covered as soon as we got home..after a clean up. We had tailor made covers, that allows the van to breathe. When we were away, our van looked like new because it hadn't faded in the sun, plus we have trees, so it kept it nice and clean.
The troll is also fitted with a tailor made cover, it's 20 years old next year, we had a couple asking about it last week, on a site. He couldn't believe it was that old, as it looks pristine.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:58 pm
by Ana | 6 Posts

We decided to get a cover on our Rockabilly because at the first service, water was found to have entered via a poorly factory fitted back window (Well done Kool Classics for sorting this)
I have been posed with a different problem. Having ordered and had signed off a new Protec cover for Van Rouge back in April and after much chasing on my part I have heard from Protec today that the new owners are NOT MAKING COVERS FOR ERIBAS anymore!!!
Does anyone know where I can locate a cover for Van Rouge please? It's based on a Troll 530.
Thank

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:26 pm

Ana, unless you specifically want or need quick access to your van over winter then a generic cover will do the job.
We have a medium [14-17ft] Kampa cover for our Feeling, which would be the size you need for your Troll. We used a small [12-14ft] with our Triton. I am pleased with the quality of the fabric and manufacture. The prices have also been a fraction of a bespoke/model specific cover.
Kampa did make a cover specifically for the Troll, but I have not seen these avertised/in stock for a year or so.
During the camping season we now keep our Eriba covered when not being used. WE slip the cover over and just do a couple of the straps up so we can still get in easily. Over winter I do all of the straps up and wrap a couple around the vans waist to pull into place the slack material. This has worked well for us.

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:54 am
by Ana | 6 Posts

Thank you Colin for sharing your experiences with covers. I agree that the cost implications are significant and your suggestion of a cheaper alternative is well worth consideration.

sparrowhawk likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:45 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 299 Posts

I bought a Kampa cover this year for the 530 - it fits perfectly and is as good quality as the previous Leisure first cover, and cost less than the towing cover!

Hyundai i30 Estate, no longer pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
eribaMotters and sparrowhawk like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:14 pm
by sparrowhawk | 13 Posts

This is excellent advice yet again. As an Eriba newbie (2023 530 Touring) I’m very grateful for Eribafolk.
Sean

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:09 pm
by Bryn | 1.012 Posts

So, what is the difference between a Kampa and a Protec other than made to measure? and are these the best on the market?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:27 pm

I believe the material is very similar, possibly the same. I have paid about £100 for my generic Kampa covers, where a model specific Protec would I'm guessing be £300+.

Colin

Bryn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:28 am
by Bryn | 1.012 Posts

I have just looked at "Trustpilot" re Kampa and the results for their products are really poor, other than Protec any recommendations for Full Covers welcome

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 82 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0