NC 500

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:27 am
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

There's much talk around Eriba groups about the now famous Scottish NC 500 route.

Just to let you know there's a 4 part series about this road on Channel 4 tonight starting at 8pm.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Steve and Debbie, Bryn and eribaMotters like this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:50 am | Scroll up

RE: NC 500

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:38 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

I think it's spoiled a glorious part of the country.

Sigh.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:16 pm

I agree. There's a guy on our Facebook page who lives on the route and is plagued by convoys of campervans rolling around.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:40 am
by Bryn | 1.015 Posts

Doesn't look a lot of fun for a car/caravan set up !

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:54 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.524 Posts

We stumbled across the NC500 a few years ago when we were doing a tour of Scotland. We knew it was that route as there was a rented motor home leaning at a precarious angle having moved over and hit the soft verge which collapsed. We stopped to check the occupants, who were hanging from the check straps, were ok. They were and awaiting breakdown recovery. Bet that was an interesting conversation with the hire company.
To my mind, that’s the biggest problem, motorhome users who won’t accept that their vehicles are too big for the roads. We met one, we were car only, on the Pass of the Cattle, it’s practically single track with an horrendous drop.
The NC500 is best avoided if at all possible IMHO.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Islay, Pepé Le Pew, Markeriba and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:25 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.098 Posts

I watched the ch4 programme last night and it looks idyllic, almost deserted, and definitely a place to visit. 🤔

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:22 am

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #6
I watched the ch4 programme last night and it looks idyllic, almost deserted, and definitely a place to visit. 🤔

Tell it to the Marines.

What is true though is that Loch Eriboll was nicknamed Loch 'Orrible by WWII servicemen, "This sea loch has a long military history, particularly during World War II. It was nicknamed "Lock 'orrible" by the British servicemen stationed here during the war due to the often bleak weather. The largest island in the loch, Eilean Choraidh, was used as a pretend German battleship for aerial bombing practice ahead of Operation Tungsten in April 1944, and the German U-boats formally surrendered here in 1945, ending the Battle of the Atlantic."

R

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107398 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4