Space saver spare wheel.

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:29 am
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Researching the subject on t'interweb most know-alls including the Caravan Club say that in the event of a car puncture it's safe to tow with a Space saver. There are a number who say no however or only if you use the Spacesaver on the front axle.

Has anyone tried it and what is your opinion?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . 1995 Eriba Puck flying behind Ford Kuga 2L Titanium FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:30 am | Scroll up

RE: Space saver spare wheel.

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:08 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

We've had to tow with a space-saver on the car.

We picked up a nice fat 1x8 Pozidriv in the shoulder of the nearside rear on the way from Malvern to Shaftesbury a couple of years ago. Fortunately it didn't go bang, and the car's TPMS caught it early.

As luck would have it there was tyre place three or four miles down the road. They couldn't repair it because of where the screw had gone in and didn't have a like-for-like replacement on the shelf, so since they had all the gubbins to hand they jacked it up in the yard and put the space saver on for us.

Worth a tenner of anybody's money.

Biggest faff was emptying all the crap out of the boot and putting it all back in plus the original tyre and wheel, which were too big to fit in the wheel well...

Hey ho.

I reckon we did about 40 miles or so with the skinny wheel and tyre on; fortunately none of it was on the motorway.

The car didn't like it much; we had an interesting selection of rather agitated stability control and ABS warning lights most of the way to the site, but once I'd got a replacement fitted in Shaftesbury the next day, everything was fine.

Even the red flashing light that said 'WTF are you doing? Haven't you read what the Caravan Club smartarses said?' went off and never came back again.

The whole episode wasn't particularly traumatic. We just took it steady, though you can't got that fast with a caravan on the back, obvs.

Given the choice, I'd opt for a full-sized spare over a space-saver, but the wheels on this car are so big that wasn't an option.

Never used a tin of goop and a toy compressor to 'mend' a puncture and I've no desire to, either.

I wouldn't worry about it, if I were you.

And as far as putting the space-saver on the front is concerned, I'd much rather have it on the back where it doesn't have to cope with doing the steering, the additional weight of the engine, transmitting the power and dealing with greater braking forces.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:27 pm
by Frantone | 111 Posts

I’m guessing Roger’s interest is Kuga related?
When towing the Eriba I carry a full sized spare.
It doesn’t fit fully into the space saver’s space but the hard floor in the Kuga boot sits on the tyre keeping flat load area.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.

Last edited Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:24 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:55 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

A lot of modern cars don’t have the ability to carry a spare and if the do they will only accommodate a skinny spare wheel in the boot well, my previous Suzuki Vitara only had the depth for a skinny spare. To be honest it didn’t give me much confidence towing with a wheel the same thickness as a hose pipe and restricted to 50kph.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:39 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 302 Posts

I was concerned about this subject, as I had a blow-out on the way to the Eurotunnel a few years ago, in a kuga as it turns out, and the space-saver, whilst it got me off the motorway (at 6am) and I got the tyre replaced, it made us only just in time, and I got a full-sized spare on my return.
(It fits under the load board roger if you get some spacers!)

The situation was made worse with my current car, a Hyundai i30 estate mild hybrid, as it doesn’t have room for even a space saver.
The last 2 problems I had with tyres involved a slash across the tread, and no amount of goo would fix that.

So, I checked the caravan wheels and they are roughly the same rolling diameter and 5-bolts with the same pcd. Unfortunately, the 14” alloy spare for the van won’t fit the car, which runs 205/55R16 michelins.
I thought about getting a Hyundai extra wheel, but the load rating for those low profiles wouldn’t let me use it as a spare for the Troll, and the wheel probably wouldn’t be strong enough either.
My solution, after a lot of research was to buy a 16” steel wheel and I found a 195/60 R16 tyre with the necessary load rating and much the same diameter, so I thought I was ready to go.

Wrong!

The offset of the steelie meant that there was only a few mm between the tyre and the wheel arch on the van. I’ve fixed this by using an alloy wheel spacer.
The next problem was that the car has studs on the hub and the Troll uses bolts, which made it difficult to align hub, spacer and wheel, so I’ve epoxied magnets into the gaps of the spacer so I can place that on the hub before fitting the wheel.
It’s a bit of a faff, but now I have one spare wheel that does both jobs!

All I need now is a caravan without a truck-shaped dent in the back! 😎

Hyundai i30 Estate, no longer pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:11 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

After buying our Touran new 14 years ago with no spare and no space to put one, just a bottle of goo ( on a people carrier I ask you), I insisted they throw in a spare wheel.
That bl**dy wheel has been hanging around in the boot ever since apart from a quick stint on the car in Greece.
Must admit we were grateful then though.
Our previous car, a Focus estate, had a space saver in the boot with about 3" of polystyrene to pack it out. A full size spare would have fitted.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . 1995 Eriba Puck flying behind Ford Kuga 2L Titanium FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:06 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 302 Posts

I’ll be proper happy if it never gets used Roger, but it’s good to be prepared.👍

I had removed the spare wheel carrier on the 530 and carried the spare in the obligatory ikea bag inside the van, which also helped with the nose weight, so nothing extra to carry in the car.

Hyundai i30 Estate, no longer pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12786 topics and 107393 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2