Some novice questions

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:10 am
by coco123 (deleted)

I was wondering if people could help with some novice questions. This caravan thing is totally new to us!

Can we use the caravan while it is attached to the car? E.g if we stop late for an over night stop or if we want to eat lunch during a stop somewhere. Or does the caravan have to be detached before you can go in it? (It will be a familia 310 when we get it).

And this awning thing is complex! I am lazy and one of the reasons I wanted a caravan was because I hate putting up the tent. Do we really need one? We live in Italy so maybe one of the sun shade things night be a good idea. I was also thinking of a Quechua base (pop up thing) for extra space to store stuff (also to cage my 11 month old for a bit!!). Anyone used one of these?

With the electrics? Do I need to get low wattage things for when we are hooked up or are they for if you are using the battery?

Still excited!!

Scroll up

RE: Some novice questions

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 am
by crow (deleted)

If you use the caravan put the steadies down then put the winder on the drivers seat
so you don't drive off with them down.
Most British sites are around 10amps, sites elsewhere can be much lower and
low wattage kettle etc. are better. 12v are for lights and 12v tv
Look at the Isabella shadow a light compact sun awning, better with the "net" front.

, , and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:27 am
by Agger (deleted)

You can use the van attached to the car, in most cases for us it is for a quick drinks stop at a motorway service area, I put the jockey wheel down and also wind the corner steadies down, I do all four some only do 2.

We use the awning in a bag which is attached to the van and left in place, our van is a Troll 540 and I manage to put the awning up on my own with no problems, it's just something you have to learn.

We only use a kettle, induction hob and a steamer on electric hook up and these are sold as household goods, we can run all 3 at once and have never had a problem when using on site electric.

Lots of questions, which is fine, it's better to ask than learn by a mistake as that's how damage occurs

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:28 am
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

As Agger says, please do ask as many questions as you want. We all benefit from the questions asked by others.
Quechua Awnings. Here's a photo of one fitted to Pepe's Puck L. g8p29-Quechua-Base-Seconds-Full.html#viewport
Awning in a Bag:- Here it is fitted to the side of Agger's Troll :- g47p617-.html and here's a demo. of one:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNW_RM4gG20
As Rod has suggested, Italian camp sites often only offer 5amp electricity. Similar situation in much of the South of France and Southern Germany so a low wattage electric kettle would be beneficial.
We often "juggle" our electricity when we know a site has low ampage eg. don't use the kettle at the same time as an electric toaster or similar. We discovered last year that an electric induction hob is great to use on limited lecci sites as you can set the hob output to as low as 5amp.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and like this post!
Last edited Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:04 am
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

If you was getting an Eriba with a toilet then an awning isn't essential however as you are getting a 310 you will presumably be using a porta potti for emergencies as well as the camps facilities, you will have to think about where you are going to store it. If you don't want to have an awning you will have to use and keep the toilet in the van. The Quechua base should be fine for the portable toilet, when I had my Puck I used a small utility tent attached to the Eriba

Have a look at the awning section for some ideas, they don't all have to be heavy and cumbersome.....

g8-Eriba-Awnings.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.525 Posts

Whilst you can use ordinary electrical items low wattage may be advisable. We once blew the site electrics with a kettle so we now have a camping kettle, slow but safe.
We often have lunch en route, just put the steadies down and remember to put the roof down ( if you put it up) and bring the steadies up.
Awnings are horses for courses. We have both, a tent type awning for long stays and a caravanstore (in a bag) for short stays and continental sun.
You can't make that many mistakes and if you do you can be sure that most of us have made them before you.
Enjoy.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 pm
by coco123 (deleted)

Thank you! some great tips. I hadn't even thought about where to put the porta potty!

I think I'll try and get low wattage things. Looking forward to having toast when camping :)

The awning thing is tough. I might wait till we have had our first trip till I make a decision. We get it in mid May so still 2 months :(

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:36 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

Welcome to EribaFolk

Regarding low wattage devices when on hookup. Most of us will have electric kettles, toasters, probably a fan heater cos if your paying for electric why use gas and then there's other items like radios, mobile phone chargers, electric hobs, TV, radio, remoskas, etc. The main thing you have to do is manage the amps you have available from the hookup. As mentioned elsewhere the amps provided on a pitch can vary. On the continent you may only have 5-6 amps more modern sites will provide 16amps. And then there's all those in between with 10 amps being popular. So you need to know what wattage each device needs. How do you know the amps use by a device - divide the wattage by 230. So 1000 Watts uses just over 4 amps, a low wattage kettle uses 750-1000 watts so 3-4 amps. A household kettle uses between 2000 - 3000 watts so 8 -12 amps ( so a powerful household kettle will cause the electric to trip if all you have is a 10 amp hook up supply). If you use an electric fan heater you only need a 1000W - 4 amps. Remoskas are termed electric cookers which are popular among campers/caravanners/motorhomers and depending on the model, use either 1.7amps or 2.5amps. So decide what electrical devices you will have, write down the amps each device uses and then when on the site hookup you can manage what devices you can use at any one time without blowing the electrics. Don't forget to make allowance for the electric lights. If the lights go out when you fill the kettle for a cuppa your sailing close to the wind. And lastly when you hookup find where the trip switch is - some sites don't give you access to it and on a cold night this could mean no fan heater buurrrrr!!
HappyEriba'ing
Rob.

, Poptop320 and like this post!
Last edited Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:37 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:18 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

You may find this checklist that I put together to stop me doing stupid things useful.

It is of course intended to meet our specific needs and circumstances but you can always edit it to remove/add items that better reflect your own needs. I keep a copy in a transparent document sleeve in the door pocket of the caravan for convenience and run through it every time we leave a pitch. You would be surprised how many times it has prevented me doing something silly in my eagerness to move on.

If you require any clarification then please ask.

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Pre departure checklist.docx Pre departure checklist.docx

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
, Poptop320, shrublands, , , , PooleDweller and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:56 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

Thanks! Just taken a copy.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:05 am
by coco123 (deleted)

Love the list! Will copy it on to the iPad along with my packing lists :) already started thinking about packing!!

I hadn't thought about the additional electrical things. We have a cadac safari chef and love using that but it is a good point about saving gas. Are the remorskas good then? I might not have enough space in the caravan to store everything. I guess I don't have to get everything for our first trip!

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 am
by decko50 | 39 Posts

Thanks ive just printed a copy.

One of your stickers is on the Eriba
Thanks

Randa france and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 am
by coco123 (deleted)

A really random question for you all! What plates etc do you have for the caravan and do they fit in the little cupboards at head height? I was thinking maybe enamel ones as I like eating off plain white (makes the food look nice). I think my current ones are too big as they have a large rim. Bare with me..... I am still excited and it's ages till we get our caravan so I need to dream about it!!

Also, how do you stop things rattling around in the cupboards.... Do you have some grippy mats or bungy (sp?) type things?

Yay!!

Last edited Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:12 am
by coco123 (deleted)

Ok, even more ridiculous question... Did you decorate type thing with a theme? Not like fairy princess but more like picking cushions etc?

In my defence, I live abroad and don't own my apartment and I miss so much owning my home so this is my outlet for that! 😃

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Check out the gallery for interior decore ideas.
We use lightweight Corelle in plain white for crockery 'cos melamine is naff (and scratches too easily).
As for rattles.......we don't hear them when we're driving.
TonyP

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3