Tablet pc

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:24 pm
by hob (deleted)

Oh what a pain it is setting up a tablet pc ........... bought myself a samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/others/SM-T520NZKABTU

For someone who doesn't even own a mobile phone and always uses a custom built desktop at home and a laptop on the move its been a steep learning curve with very few of my normal programs being available to work in something called android (the tablet operating system) nor was i able to move over all my bookmarks to the cut down version of firefox (not included on the tablet) bought a bluetooth mouse and the tablet refuses to see it ..............and so on so was pleased to find the met office weather app for android.
So the next couple of trips will be laptop and tablet until I can be sure to get the same service from the tablet as I get from the laptop ( probably one more trip this year and the first of next year)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Tablet pc

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:37 pm
by Agger (deleted)

It is a bit daunting at first but you soon get the hang of it. We have been "line free" for over 15 years, totally mobile for at least 8, we have a Tab S, Samsung note 2 & 4, got a 64gb card in my note and 128 in the Tab S, got 11500 tunes and 2876 photos (they are backed up on a lappy) we use bluetooth or nfc for connectivity to speakers, headphones etc.

We are on 15gb a month from 3 on the Tab and we can share this with the lower 500mb we have on the phones (all on 3) perseverance as always

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:47 pm
by hob (deleted)

I went for the samsung as the apple does not have a micro sd port I got 2 x 32 gig cards for it to extend the storage. one for pictures and one for documents, still trying to get some apps to crop and resize pics for upload.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:01 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I use an otg (on the go) from ebay cable which allows usb connectivity, I had over 500gb of sd cards from my photography days, so we save to sd as well by way of laptop. I can bluetooth to my car and it also has a usb interface, I just love the portability, and being able to use cable less speakers (i hate cables on view)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:06 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

I've used an Apple iPad for the last three years, but only for recreation. (There's an iMac on my desk for work.) The iPad is only 16gb, and yes, there are no card slots. But who needs slots anyway? I have a Dropbox account, and a Dropbox app on the iPad, so anything I want to store is stored there. I can get to it from my phone or my desktop too. So can you, if I send you a download pass. Simples!

As for playing music, it Bluetooths to a Bose Mini Soundlink which we take with us in the Eriba. If we've downloaded some programmes from the telly we watch them on the iPad's iPlayer app or the Channel 4 equivalent, and the sound comes through the Bose.

I think the iPads are overexpensive, but I never could get to grips with Windows or any of that faff, and Android seemed to me to be messy. Apple stuff on the other hand is so straightforward. For a no-brainer like me, it was a no brainer.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/

Ribski likes this post!
Last edited Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

+ 1 for Apple !

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:26 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #5
I've used an Apple iPad for the last three years, but only for recreation. (There's an iMac on my desk for work.) The iPad is only 16gb, and yes, there are no card slots. But who needs slots anyway? I have a Dropbox account, and a Dropbox app on the iPad, so anything I want to store is stored there. I can get to it from my phone or my desktop too. So can you, if I send you a download pass. Simples!

As for playing music, it Bluetooths to a Bose Mini Soundlink which we take with us in the Eriba. If we've downloaded some programmes from the telly we watch them on the iPad's iPlayer app or the Channel 4 equivalent, and the sound comes through the Bose.

I think the iPads are overexpensive, but I never could get to grips with Windows or any of that faff, and Android seemed to me to be messy. Apple stuff on the other hand is so straightforward. For a no-brainer like me, it was a no brainer.

The ipads lack of storage space really put me off, for an old fuddy duddy like me the cloud worries me security wise dropbox I have the option of but trust it with my files for banking? I think not.... I was there at the start of things and trust is hard earned these days first thing i set up was my virus scanner (paid for kaspersky) my biggest worry is every time I try to do something it wants me to create a new account or sign in ........ I'm not used to being spied on in this way ......the tablet signed me in to google on my desk top the other day without me knowing so its 1984 coming true big brother is watching me whatever I do

(Just upstairs to the loo )( in case Microsoft \ google can't tell)

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:56 am
by Agger (deleted)

Nev, I agree about banking but I have the NatWest app on my phone and tablet. I use it just tto transfer between accounts and check balances. These days we only have 4 direct debits and 3 of those are for the phones & tablet.

I have spoken to lots of people who worry about the "banking online security" but lots of them will happily pay £2.45 for a Latte at the local coffee shop on their card whereas I pay cash, my simple logic is the least amount I use my online banking or my plastic anywhere the less likely I am to have it compromised! I always have cash, I only ever draw what my card maximum is, therefore sometimes I have lots of cash on me, but not for long, it goes in the safe when I get home.

If I have to register for anything online I use an email account we have that we don't access for anything else and when asked for our phone or tablet number we always change some of the numbers.

Just a point of interest I was told by a trainer who works at the "doughnut" in Cheltenham when you use your phone or tablet your phone number and IMEI plus other information gets transmitted.

Best of luck with your new challenge

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Just a thought and it mmay help others, if you like to use a stylus for typing or to keep the screen fingerprint free Then the £ shops do them and last time I looked they had them that looked liked Crayola crayons I like crayons! I act my shoe size and not my age so they are perfect for me

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107394 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3