Parking on the M4

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:23 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Well, not exactly parking. But I've got a longish tow on Friday, via the M23, M25 and M4 to Bath, and I reckon I'll need a stroll by the time I'm on the M4. Is there, does anyone from that part of the world know, a services along there that is easy to negotiate with an Eriba (bearing in mind that I'm pants at reversing even without anything hanging off the back!)?

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/

Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:24 pm | Scroll up

RE: Parking on the M4

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.741 Posts

You can check them out on Google maps satellite view. It'll zoom in enough to be able to read both the road and parking bay markings.

If you still aren't sure, use Streetview and drive round the car park.

The only place the camera car hasn't been is the ladies toilets.

rT-7
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:49 pm
by Agger (deleted)

To be honest none of hem ard particularly good I've used Membury a few times but it's dismal. Bearing in mind what you say about reversing I'd give Newbury a miss. So you don't have many choices left I'm afraid, certainly none that I would want to recommend

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #1
Well, not exactly parking. But I've got a longish tow on Friday... ...and I reckon I'll need a stroll by the time I'm on the M4.
There are two other options.

One of them is to come off the motorway, park your unwieldy and unreversable monstrosity in a layby, drop the rear steadies and spark up the stove for a quick cup of splosh.

The other is to stick it on the hard shoulder somewhere west of Reading, bang on the hazards and run up and down the embankment a few times to clear your head and ease those stiff calves.

rT-7

and like this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:29 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

Have to say going up the m4 they are all bad. Been in most and try to avoid all. Could come off at second swindon junction a costa drive through just off roundabout

Still looking for a good puck
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Hi, I have found the best ones are Moto on the M4, one is Reading and the other I think is nearer Bath. Both are easy access and you will see the Caravan signs where you can just pull in easily and park up as they are drive in areas. If you use google you can zoom in I will try to get you some info on it. It has a Gregs and M&S so you don't have to pay the earth and you can drop the steadies and park up there.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 pm
by campnsnooze (deleted)

Hi, We have used Chieveley Services, J13 on M4 near Newbury. This is a very easy one to park in and get out....we should know, we saw it about 20 times on one afternoon!!...terrible groaning coming from the ALCO so spent hours going round and round trying to sort. Anyway when you leave the M4 take a left and keep on the left. When entering the parking areas ignore the car/coaches lane and head towards the large lorries and think there is a hotel there too. All the lorries are in long bays with an in/out. Don't worry there are plenty of other caravans parked up. Have your camera ready as you can get some great shots of the Eriba sandwiched in between the huge juggernauts!!.
Chris

, and like this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:06 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to reply - it's much appreciated. I'll let you know what happens at the end of the week.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Can't see any pics of it on google that would help, but as the others have said they are drive in and drive out and clearly marked Caravan signs before you get the the car parking. I am new to all his and had no problems.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:45 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

Thanks, Taffy!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

HI, I have found this and marked in red so you have some idea where you need to go but obviously keep on the road (unlike me line) and a link below:
This is for Reading Westbound M4
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.425249...z/data=!3m1!1e3

reading motorway moto.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Your red line is on the Eastbound side, Taffy.

You can 'drive' round almost all the parking areas using the little yellow Streetview man in the bottom right hand corner. All you do is drag him over the bit you want to look at, and then drop him anywhere you like on the blue highlighted roads.

Click on the direction arrows which appear superimposed on the Streetview roads to steer him round.

It's a whizzo thing. I'm currently part of the way through an epic drive from St David's to Lowestoft using the arrows on the Streetview view.

It takes a long time going all that way in thirty yard hops, but you do get to see lots of interesting stuff en route.

rT-7

, and like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:32 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

oops, I did put in west bound!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #13
oops, I did put in west bound!

I wasn't being pedantic, Taffy - I was concerned that Mr Wordspace might drive all the way from the M25 to Reading services on the wrong side of the motorway

rT-7
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

It Is something that has been done before.

Still looking for a good puck
Scroll up

Visitors
8 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12783 topics and 107361 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 8