truma ultra heat

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 pm
by Loveourtroll (deleted)

we have a truma heater with gas and blown air and are thinking of adding the electric ultra heat element. Has anyone retro fitted this. I have checked with truma which kit we need. My husband is pretty handy has added plug and Arial sockets to our beloved eriba but just wondered how easy the ultra heat element and thermostats is to fit instructions always a bonus before we take the plunge and buy the kit is it worth the money £240 for everything including cables element and thermostat.

Scroll up

RE: truma ultra heat

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:45 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

Yes, I fitted one to our caravan and the installation was straightforward and well within the capabilities of a competent DIY enthusiast. The comprehensive fitting instructions are easy to follow. Having the heater fitted should add value to your van or at the very least make it easier to sell when the time comes.

Having heating available at the flick of a switch is very convenient and in very cold weather, it can be left on permanently at a low setting. The element is actually designed as supplementary to the gas heater but we have never felt the need to use gas and electricity together even in sub-zero conditions.

I'm sure some will argue that the cost of installation would pay for a lot of gas but we wouldn't be without ours. The choice is yours.

The remote thermostat is useful and one of our members may be able to make one for you at a substantial saving on the Truma price if you ask nicely.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Randa france and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:20 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:44 pm
by Loveourtroll (deleted)

Thanks. We plan on keeping our van for a long time so will probably save us money versus using gas and we don't need to take another electric radiator which we do at the minute. The kit we have seen is complete including the thermostat so we shouldn't need a separate one. I think we are going to go for it and fit before our next trip yeh!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #3
The kit we have seen is complete including the thermostat so we shouldn't need a separate one.
So far as I remember, there is some problem with the location of the thermostat supplied in the kit and in order for the temperature control to be more effective, you need to fit a thermostat with a longer connecting lead in another location.

From memory, the thermostat in our van is fitted below the gas fire just behind the front cover.

Gas fire01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Edit: In the above picture you can see the ends of the electric element behind the finned gas heat exchanger. The remote thermostat sensor is on the end of the black wire underneath the heat exchanger. The heap of fluff on the floor is what came out when I cleaned the circulation fan (see this thread)

Forum Administrator

and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 am
by Eribear (deleted)

We fitted the electrical element (had it fitted rather) and it's really efficient....we have not used the gas since it was done except when not hooked up. It really is extremely efficient and well worth doing.

, Keith and Sue and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 pm
by pamdo (deleted)

Hi. If you don't mind, can you tell me how it cost you? I've had 2 dealers quote anything from 150 - 750€ ish!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

I am not sure which eriba you have, but the attached photograph of an Adax VP11 500 watt heater11 - adax heater-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) fitted might be of interest if the ultra heat element is prohibitive. These cost about £55 supplied with a 5yr warranty.They are compact, silent and look good. I went this route as it means I do not need to carry the very useful 500watt oil filled radiator I have in the past.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:47 pm
by addisb | 182 Posts

Hi Colin,
That looks really good. Are you comfortable with leaving it on all night or in such a small space is it somewhat overpowering?
Chris

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 am
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

Chris,
I fitted it to my new van in Feb this year and tried it out at the April eriba meet. I turned the heater on each evening and was happy to leave it on over night. [I am as yet still working out how to set the thermostat on it] This gave a nice comfortable temeprature. 500 watt seems to be about right for end and start of season camping. You may need a 5 or 10 minute boost from the gas at times to initially get up to temperature at first in cold weather though.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:27 am
by addisb | 182 Posts

Many thanks.
I will give this serious consideration. We never stay except with hook-up and I just hate gas. I literally could not sleep with a gas heater on regardless of checks and certs.
Chris

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
......attached photograph of an Adax VP11 500 watt heater

That looks extremely smart and bordering on what Mrs Bucket would most probably have were she into caravanning lol. Um - I feel a discussion with management coming on this evening with a view to binning our oil filled radiator also.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 pm
by Dougd (deleted)

Another question...do you have to have the fan unit to add the electric elephant, please?

Doug

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.631 Posts

Quote: Dougd wrote in post #12
Another question...do you have to have the fan unit to add the electric elephant, please Doug

Hi Doug, the electric Elephant cracked me up.. no you don't have to have the blower with the element, I don't have one and it works fine. Just something to bear in mind if the thermostat control is in the wardrobe you may need the override thermostat fitting in the jack plug at the bottom of the fire.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Another question...do you have to have the fan unit to add the electric elephant, please?

No you don't have to have it, but it makes it much more efficient.
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:25 am

The Ultraheat operating instructions state:

The heater operation is regardless of the operating mode (gas oder (sic) electricity) also possible without the the Trumavent fan.

To ensure an even and rapid warm air distribution as well as lower surface temperatures on the heating unit, we do recommend that you always operate the heater with a running Trumavent warm air system.

When using electrical only we recommend to set the fan control on position 3 (manual or auto), remembering to set the output level to 2000W (ensure that the fuse protection for the power supply for the camp site is sufficient.)

I have to agree that operation of the heater is much more efficient when fan-assisted circulation is used.

Forum Administrator

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:21 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 57 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107696 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4