Tow with a VW camper ?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:35 pm
by Paul (deleted)

I now have tow bar fitted to our VW Westfalia campervan so intend to use it with our Troll 540. My question is, have any members encountered any problems on sites such as being asked to pay for two vehicles , etc. There is just us two and of course if I'm towing the troll we would on stay in the Eriba and the VW would only be a tow car. Paul.

Scroll up

RE: Tow with a VW camper ?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:21 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

We towed with a T5 campervan and had no issues. I was always prepared to point out or argue that it was our towing vehicle but the subject never arose because when towing the Eriba we always used it (not the camper) as our camping unit.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:53 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

We did have one site in high season, I cant recall where, who said that they wouldn't charge us for the VW T5 as a seperate camper/motorhome on the same pitch so long as no one slept in it (how would they tell?!). As there was just the two of us at the time and we sleep in the caravan, I didn't make an issue of it - but I would have done if it had been an issue! Our daughter often joins us (the boys don't lol), so if we are staying somewhere for any length of time, when I book by email, I always state that I only expect to pay for a caravan and tow car to avoid any disputes - thankfully we have had no issues so far. However, I wouldn't put it past a very commercial/touristy site on a coast to try it on in high season.

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton 420 GT, both in silver.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:03 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.629 Posts

I would assume that as long as both habitation areas are not used at the same time it shouldn't be a problem, other wise you will be falling foul of the fire break regulations that a lot of campsites impose. I suppose it would be worth asking before you book.
I have seen a campervan and caravan use a EHU splitter on the same pitch whether that was legit or surreptitious I don't know.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:17 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I would not ask before booking!
Why give anybody the chance to invoke officialdom or exercise assumed authority?
If you are not going to sleep in the campervan it is just your towing vehicle.

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:51 am
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I only ever ask if Laura is joining us in high season (she's a teacher so confined to school hols), as she sleeps in the T5. If I was ever told there would be an extra charge other than the extra adult, we'd book somewhere else.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:26 am
by Poptop320 | 2.629 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #5
I would not ask before booking!
Why give anybody the chance to invoke officialdom or exercise assumed authority?
If you are not going to sleep in the campervan it is just your towing vehicle.

I had a quick web-chat with the CC and they replied as below:

Q) Hi, would there be an extra charge if I tow a caravan with a motor home?
A) If this is site for the UK, then there is no charge for towing a caravan but you can only use the 1 outfit on site, not both. When making a UK site booking I'd advise on ringing the warden before hand to make them aware you're taking a motorhome while towing a caravan.

If somebody is in the C&CC it may be worth asking them what their official line is as well?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Hmm, then it's down to interpretation of the word 'use'. Does that mean sleep in it, do the washing up or cooking in it? keeping beer in the fridge in it? I have seen people with a caravan with members of their party sleeping in the towing car, in fact, sleeping in the car is quite common in Europe outside of the UK.

Our T5 has the same footprint as a large family estate car. I think a motorhome, as in a very big white thing, is a bit different.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Exactly!
Do your own interpretation to avoid over zealous management.
TonyP

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:39 pm
by Loopyt25 (deleted)

Hi, what is the Westfalia, is it a split screen, bay window or t25 or the newer vw T4or T5, interested as I want to tow my eriba 418 with a VW t25

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:52 pm
by Paul (deleted)

Hi loopyt25, it's a 2015. Westfalia joker , LWB T5 with DSG auto. It's a high top with a fixed sliding bed in the roof. It's very car like and quite and more economical than my Merc for towing. Paul.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:12 pm
by Simon k (deleted)

No issue at c & cc sites. You can also sleep in the both as long as you only cook in one. I have that in writing!

www.onemanandhispuck.blogspot.co.uk
Poptop320 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107408 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7