Dreaded rust!

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18 pm
by Markeriba | 150 Posts

We are having some restoration work done to our 2006 Troll 555, following discovery of extensive rust to the rear of the van during a service last summer. The stripping out and refitting work is being carried out by John England (Jnse) and a mechanical engineer I work with is arranging the welding required.

The rust was quite extensive, so we opted for having the whole rear section removed from where the rear kicks up, right to the back of the van. I thought I'd put some photos on the forum to give readers an idea of the frame layout etc.

One thing I didn't realise is that the framing for the external lockers option is built into each side together with corner curves, which would make retro fitting of a locker a relatively easy operation.
Hope the photos are of interest.

Cheers Mark

P1000838.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1000841.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1000846.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1000848.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1000855.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:19 pm | Scroll up

RE: Dreaded rust!

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:21 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

That is very scary looking. Also the pics don't open very well I think it may be due to file size when it's clicked to the link but looking at them embedded in your post it looks like a very big job. Hope it all goes well and your eriba will be as good as new in no time.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Hi Mark.

Thanks for adding the photos. Sorry for all the extra expense you're having to go through.

I'm amazed and a bit worried that a well kept 2006 van can have such a problem. have you owned it for long?

You're in the best of hands with John England. We'd all be interested to hear yours and John's thoughts on the matter.

You don't think it could be caused by water seeping into the locker box frame do you? It's just that Terry Small had a similar problem with his van last year.

Regarding locker boxes, you're correct in thinking they can be retro fitted and the framework can be purchased from several sources including this one :- https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carava...oors-and-frames

We've been thinking for a long while about fitting one or two to our van but I think we'll leave well enough alone.

By the way, how are the repairs to your own framework progressing? I hope you're well on the mend.

regards

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:42 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Pics now working when clicked, maybe a IT issue when I clicked earlier to view.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:51 am
by Markeriba | 150 Posts

Morning,

We bought the van new from Lechlade in October 2006. Although we've looked after the van, I must admit that I've never done much underneath, and we've done a lot of winter touring on gritted roads etc. I had bought six cans of the Hymer spray coating, a week before my accident in Oct 2013, but they still remain unused!

Once all the repairs are done, and we're possibly expecting some rust to the front, I'll start washing down the underside more frequently, and having a good look regularly. John did comment that when the vans were manufactured in France the made up frame or steelwork could have been sitting outside for months before the van was actually built. As the frame isn't galvanised, rust could have set in when we bought the van.

Anyway, lesson learnt, and I'll be a lot more careful in the future!

Talking of metalwork, the leg is progressing well. I've attached a photo of the frame I was wearing between August and December last year. I had to make adjustments to the frame over six weeks to move the tibia upwards and then across, to then allow the surgeon to 'fuse' the foot. The frame was titanium, so no problem with rusting.

Cheers Mark

IMG_1622.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:57 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Although I ticked the 'like' button, it's more in the way of appreciation and admiration than like.
We hope that all your framework is fixed satisfactorily soon Mark and that you can resume a normal life.
Tony & Frances

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Ribski, Magpie and like this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 am
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Zitat
The frame was titanium, so no problem with rusting.

Now that's what you call a solid framework Soon be back on the football pitch ??
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:26 pm
by Markeriba | 150 Posts

Tony,

I know what you mean, sometimes you'd like an 'it's disgusting' button!
I'm in an aircast boot at the moment, hopefully for just a couple more weeks, so nearly there.

The other frame was welded onto the van on Friday, so it's now ready to be put back together, then hopefully we can start getting away.
I would have liked to come to the Eribafolk summer meet, but we're down South at a wedding that weekend.

I'll post some pictures of the new frame in place if we call in the workshop next week.

Cheers mark

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:10 am
by Tinkerbelle | 28 Posts

>framing for the external lockers option is built into each side ....... retro fitting of a locker a relatively easy operation.

Did that a couple of years ago. Yes, fairly straight-forward, but not for the faint hearted.

Colin

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0