Our New Puck L

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:14 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Well, finally collected the new, to us Puck L 230GT, from AL in Poole. No problems with the pick up and a free gas bottle! Even found a hitch lock in the van (outbid on one on e-bay a few days earlier so well chuffed!). She tows like a dream.

As we live in Cornwall we decided to stop approximately half way at Charmouth and rolled into Manor Farm Holiday Centre. Everything was half closed but the one shower, in the disabled loo, was clean and hot! The traffic noise overnight from the A35 was dreadful! So over all not recommended. Manoeuvring on site was a bit difficult due to the length and bad turning circle of the Defender towing her so it was easier to unhitch and move by hand, so easy!

However, this is about how the Puck, not the site, she was great, lovely and warm despite almost freezing temperatures outside. As this was a trial run we used everything in every mode. As noted above the heater, once I worked out the rather counter intuitive gas valve positions, worked really well and rapidly got the van up to a very cosy temperature, so warm we decided to use a small 900w oil filled heater overnight. We used the bed as two singles, on that subject I have seen a mod on this, or the other place?, using the back cushions to gain extra width but I can't find it now despite numerous searches, can anyone point me in the right direction?

One thing we couldn't figure out was where to store the table at night, obviously with an awning not a problem, but when not using one? We ended up placing it on end opposite the wardrobe/heater and securing it with a bungee cord to the coat hooks on the end of the lockers. Is ther an "official" solution or a better unofficial one?

When we arrived home at our storage site I found our old wheel clamp wouldn't fit, can anyone suggest a wheel clamp that will?, she has steel wheels with plastic covers so would prefer not to have to remove them to fit it.

Chris

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Our New Puck L

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:37 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Sounds great. Glad you enjoyed your first experience with her. I'm sure the Puck L owners on here will advise you on the table storage and wheel clamp.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:59 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.514 Posts

We only ever made the bed up as a double so the table just went on the floor under the bed, sorry can't be more help.

Awaiting Triton 420GT to push Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:43 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi Julie,

Thanks, but our table is too wide to do that, it was an option we considered.

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:47 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Here are some photos from our maiden voyage:

image.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)image_2.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)image_3.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france, and chezmart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:57 pm
by hob (deleted)

Literally thinking outside the box .............room for the table in the Defender ? I used to keep my puck one in the back of my ranger at night.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Land Rover envy....

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:21 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I'm intrigued that the table is too wide - is it not a standard table ? I've an older Puck L, which I believe is the same size,my table slots between the seats - need to past the seat cushions so requires putting in at an angle to get past, then levelled to lay on the floor :) Obviously if your table won't fit, then in the LR is the best option, I think :)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Nice looking PuckL

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Yes, there would be room in this Land Rover but not in the other one, a SWB Softop, which we will normally use. I must admit I was surprised it wouldn't fit between the seats but I suppose it makes it easier to sit at and use for eating if there is some overhang of the seats. Makes you wonder why they didn't design it to be part of the bed base?
Thanks for your kind words Julie, yes, she is lovely!!

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52 am
by T & C (deleted)

Yep - when we had a full-sized table we (as suggested by Hob) kept it in the car at night. However, like many other forum members with Puck L's we found the table was just too big so made a smaller one and this fits on the floor of the van a treat.

T&C

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:59 am
by Lunarbri (deleted)

Nice looking outfit, I like the Defender, a bit OTT for pulling the PuckL maybe, I would love one but couldn't get passed the running costs££££

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:17 am
by hob (deleted)

Quote: T & C wrote in post #11
Yep - when we had a full-sized table we (as suggested by Hob) kept it in the car at night. However, like many other forum members with Puck L's we found the table was just too big so made a smaller one and this fits on the floor of the van a treat.

T&C

Travelling alone as I do I have always found eriba main tables to be too big so I made a smaller one for the puck and now leave the triton one at home, this not only gets it out of the way but allows me to leave the bed set up all the time.

Eriba main tables are always designed to seat four people for a meal, having said that how often does anyone feed four people in an eriba?

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:20 pm

We didn't realise our PuckL table had been cut down prior to us getting it. We managed fine with a small table and are going to make another small one for our Triton and put the large table somewhere in storage when we get the van. We have had up to 6 in the van but haven't fed them so can't comment about feeding crowds in an Eriba.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:01 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Yes, I suppose the 110 is a bit over the top as a towing vehicle, it can pull 3500kg with a lowball load of 150kg!, so it manages the Puck quite well

I don't find the running costs that excessive, the road tax is circa £230 as is insurance, 27-30mpg, not bad for something with the aerodynamics of a house brick weighing 2.8 tonnes! and it can go anywhere. The thing about Land Rovers is servicing, keep it properly serviced and you'll find it very reliable.

As our main trip this year we intend to drive down through Spain in July and August so will be using SWMBO's SWB Defender 90, even though that has the same towing capacity as the 110 it'll look a bit less over the top. One of the first jobs I have to do is sort out the towing electrics on the 90, its only got a 12N 7 pin socket which I'll have to change for a 13 pin plus add an Alko lowball and drop plate.

I'd also like to add a solar panel and led internal lighting to the Puck to enable us to go off grid, I'll post details of my progress and perhaps ask a few questions if I get stuck.

Re the table, when in Spain, where it hopefully won't rain, it can stay under the sun awning at night, here in the UK we'll just have to try and fit it in the cars if we don't have the full awning up.

Btw ordered a Bulldog Euroclamp for the wheel I'll post a review when it gets here, tomorrow hopefully.

Chris

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0