Painting the gas box.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm
by Chris_and_dogs (deleted)

Something that has always niggled me about my 1995 Puck, is that the two halves of the gas locker are different shades - one cream and one light silver. Having looked at the Eribas for sale at AL, though, it was obvious that, on many of the older ones, the gas lockers had been painted with silver paint. Is this a common practice, is it advisable, and, if so, what paint do you use ? The fridge vent cover is also peeling and tatty. Can this be painted too?

Scroll up

RE: Painting the gas box.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

Mr Hob, painted his box you can see him at it in the blog...

blog-2.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am
by hob (deleted)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:58 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #2
Mr Hob, painted his box

Ooh er missus, that sounds a bit TACKY

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks for the links. The blogs look really interesting and I'll read them in full, later. Mind you, after the last remark, I hesitate to ask Mr Hob if it needed any special preparation, and if a spray can was sufficient to cover it all.
I do think that risque is not a good look for ladies over sixty !

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Chris_and_dogs wrote in post #1
Something that has always niggled me about my 1995 Puck, is that the two halves of the gas locker are different shades - one cream and one light silver.

Two options there either just the cover has been painted ........ maybe after a repair? or a different cover fitted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm where to start? as you can see the cover on mine had been repaired before I got it.
P1290780.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

However the main reason for doing mine was the plastic box was damaged where the lid hinged on the main part of the box, you can see bits of alloy I had to bolt in in this shot.

P1290822.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

While on the subject a word about hinges, I have seen plastic ones and like the one pictured brass plated steel ones ....... the reason for the damage on mine was the hinges were rusty and seized in the closed position so when opening something has to give way..................................
So metal hinges need regular oiling and plastic ones something like silicone lubricant? Consider replacing yours if needed.

I needed to separate the cover from the box body to do the repairs so that made painting easier but meant drilling out the alloy rivets to remove it and buying stainless steel bolts to replace them.

I figured it would be a lot easier to paint the box in position rather than remove it so run a carefully positioned strip of masking tape round the edges then block mask with sheets of paper.

P1290834.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Preparation : - Make sure its clean, give it a good wash, when dry go over it with fine sandpaper (200 or so grit) or 2 or 3 kitchen scouring pads this removes any stubborn dirt and gives a key for the new paint to stick, then a good clean again to remove any dust grit etc.

Remove or cover the gas internals ( I covered mine with an old curtain and threw it in the bin after the job was done)

Paint :- I won't go into debates about special paints for plastics as I never used any..............

Its also not a 2 can quick spray job either................... First was 2 or 3 coats of grey primer next 3 coats of colour after that 3 coats of lacquer so not a cheap job cost about £100.00

Paint used was from halfords car paint section. Colour is up to you I used a dark grey (see pictures) Painting the spats (mudguards ) the same colour is up to you .... I did mine to match. Spray painting with rattle cans is not as good as getting it done by a pro but probably cheaper.

You will need somewhere inside but well ventilated to do the work as spray painting is very difficult outdoors on all but the stillest day, I had use of a barn on my friends farm, allow a couple of hours between coats for it to dry.

Safety :- always wear a face mask when spraying modern paints have some nasty stuff in them.

P1290835.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1290868.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1290905.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Final job fit a new gas warning sticker to the cover to let rescue services know gas is stored inside (caravan shops sell them or available on line)

Bet you wish you had never asked now

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

That's really helpful. Thanks so much.
I think that someone had had a bit of a mishap with the caravan, at some time, and the gas box had been replaced piecemeal. There is a very obvious repair on the lid. The older Pucks that I noticed at AL had obviously just been done with a brush and looked a bit ropey, but it is obvious from your post that to do it properly is no small undertaking. Food for thought.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm
by hob (deleted)

As an aside note new ones (replica's) are available here.

http://koolclassics.com/product/gasbox

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Chris_and_dogs wrote in post #7
it is obvious from your post that to do it properly is no small undertaking. Food for thought.

The cheaper shorter version can be done in about 2 days.. quality almost as good

Day one clean and mask up as above ... don't remove cover (lid) cut a piece of wood long enough to prop it 1\2 open instead, remove lock from cover.

day two spray paint first coat of primer....... allow one hour drying time........ then another coat primer
one hour drying time............. first coat of colour......... one hour drying time...........second coat of colour
one hour drying time..........first coat of lacquer ......one hour drying time..........second coat of lacquer

two hours drying time remove masking refit lock to cover
forgot to say before mask towhitch by wrapping cloth round it see pic above

forget doing the mudguards to match

materials :- sandpaper masking tape one can grey primer 2 cans colour (should be some left if needed to touch up marks) one can clear lacquer newspaper.

Don't put a new sticker on the cover for a week or handle it too much to let the paint harden

should look a lot better than brush painting and all be the same colour.

alternatively you could brush paint it still need to mask round the edges up to you.

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:43 am
by PETER SUTCLIFFE (deleted)

My gas box and spats are in a sort of Bronze colour and I was wondering if anyone out there knows what colour it is and whether available from stores such as Halfords?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:30 pm
by cabbie37 | 688 Posts

The bronze colour is often as a result of the original grey having discoloured over time. I fear that you wont be able to match it with a standard colour, but you may be able to get close by having it scanned by a motor factors, perhaps. The original colour is often quoted as RAL 9007..

hth...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:37 am

Ok thanks for that. Now I have a starting point.
Pete

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:39 pm

Hi there,
Well time to update on the gas box saga. After reckoning I could guess the colour and buying four spray cans of what turned out to be a miles off colour I went down the technical route. Being able to remove the wheel arch spats I took one to a decorators shop for a paint match, et voila!!! The Bronze colour is, I reckon paint code RAL1011 Brown Beige, but I used RAL 1019 Grey Beige. The reason being I could never understand why the original box colour never really worked with any colour on the Puck. Anyhow after applying the wrong colours in the first instance, they looked like the right colours on the computer,( I have now probably increased the nose weight of the van substantially!!!). But the gas box is now sparkling and looks great after two coats of the paint and laquer.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

For reference this is Peter's Puck as it was:-

Petes Puck.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

What is interesting is that the whole Eriba range of this era, 1988 to 1995 had various different colours for spats and gas boxes.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi Randa,
Thanks for posting that picture, it is me. ( I have trouble with anything smart, phones in particular), Old school I reckon. Anyhow the box has been finished and looking better than good. I would have liked to get it to the original colour but hey ho the new colour is OK for me and more important her indoors likes it. Next job might be the roof as it is starting to look dull now. Might just give it some serious elbow and car wax to start with.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 99 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0