Punctured Pop Top Canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm
by marmite | 405 Posts

Thanks to Storm Eileen (or whatever) the gusts of wind bellowed the roof canvas and bounced the roof so now we have a neat v shaped cut in our canvas.

I've searched the repairs thread and can't find anyone who has posted a remedy for the same problem.

Can anyone give us the benefit of their experience? I'm off now to darn the triangle netting which also got scissored - blasted wind.

On the good side tho' we got back from Goodwood yesterday to find half a tree had fallen onto the drive just where Marmite would have been parked had we been at home! Luck in bad luck as our German friends would say.

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

RE: Punctured Pop Top Canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

I remember Dave Eribanaut recommending a good patching kit once. Not at home at the moment but l'll look it up when we get back unless Dave gets there first.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Tenacious tape, which I used with McNett seam grip, Gave a good strong repair but does leave a dark mark.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...sl_6ugxik8fzk_e
It;s available from a lot of places, this is just the first one to come up on Google
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005

Randa france and marmite like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 pm
by marmite | 405 Posts

Thank You, knew I could rely on the gang

Denise

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 am
by Dispirito (deleted)

If it’s a v shape tear it sounds like it was caught in the roof hinges when lowering the roof. If the door isn’t open the fabric doesn’t pull inwards properly .
Alternatively your roof fabric elastic might need replacing. We had exactly this shaped tear on our very first trip - due to not knowing then about opening the door.
Our our last trip the net fabric tore due to the elastic being too loose. Does anyone know if standard caravan shop elastic will work as a replacement or does it need a UV stable version ?

Regarding repiring the fabric I used some medical tape as an emergency repair and 2 Years later it’s still holding strong!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am
by Agger (deleted)

Just a thought if you replace the elastic, go for a colour stable type (or just white) anything with a colour might leech into your canvas I replaced ours a few years back with white elastic shock cord bought from a haberdashery

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

2 years ago I replaced ours with elastic from a diy shop. It's green and the colour hasn't leached onto the canvas.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 3 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107570 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4