Adding a vinyl floor (one piece)

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:02 pm
by magszh (deleted)

So our Eriba Future re-build continues apace :)

I just wanted to share my experience of putting in a new floor. Our caravan was well-used and sometimes interestingly maintained, but after 17 years (and I suspect a few years sitting under a tree) the wear and tear was definitely starting to show. One of the improvements was to lay new vinyl flooring on top of the existing flooring. This of course adds a little weight, but I think it was worth it.

Here are the steps we took:

1. We measured the whole size of the floor, width and length, and took the maximum of each to order a single vinyl sheet. For our 430T, we ordered a 4.5 x 2m roll. The flooring came from zazous.co.uk.

2. I created a template of the entire floor using A3 sheets of paper taped together. I cut the paper around all the little fiddly areas in the edges, so that the template exactly matched the floor surface.

template_making.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

3. We carefully removed the template and lay it on the single piece of vinyl. With a waterproof marker, I went around the whole template and marked the vinyl (make sure to do this the correct side up). Now the vinyl is marked a couple of millimetres too big. BIG HINT: lay out the vinyl for a day or so, so that it is flat when you mark it.

cutting_floor.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

4. Using a cutting board, cutter and rule, we cut just inside the marked line around the whole single piece of vinyl. This made the end result a couple of millimetres smaller than the template.

5. We used double sided flooring tape, and placed it in the caravan, along where the edges of the floor would be, then in ~20cm intervals throughout the length of the floor down the middle. I recommend buying the more expensive, removable tape, as it helps in case laying the floor doesn't go perfectly the first time.

6. We placed the vinyl in the van! It looked great and fitted almost perfectly. There were a couple of small spots that I cut back (a couple of millimetres too big), but all in all, it worked a treat!

floor_in.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

7. We lifted the vinyl up to the middle of the van (ie. half way to the centre), then removed the tape backing and very slowly and carefully placed the vinyl down onto the adhesive tape. We pushed it flat as we lay it to make sure there were no lifts in the floor, and did it one or two pieces of tape at a time. Now one side of floor was down.

8. We repeated the process to lay the second half - from the middle out to the edges.

9. To clean up the edges where the floor met the furniture, we added a small line of silicon.

silicon_edges.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

End result - revitalised flooring!

new_floor.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We even used a left over cutting of the vinyl to spruce up the gas / spare tyre area.

front_template.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

front_floor.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I'm not an expert in floor laying (or actually any DIY stuff), but the end result looks pretty great. The test will be to see how it holds up after a few trips!

, Poptop320 and like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:07 pm | Scroll up

RE: Adding a vinyl floor (one piece)

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

Looking good Mags. Thanks for sharing

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

RE:

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

You can say that again! 😃😂😃

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

RE:

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 pm
by Ribski | 1.468 Posts

Nice work - well worth it :)

Scroll up

RE:

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 pm
by hob (deleted)

Great work, always nice to see what people do to improve things.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

RE:

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:13 am
by Shassa (deleted)

Great work and great information, this is on my to do list and I would never have thought to make a template and it is obviously the way to go looking at your new floor. Thanks 😀

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 pm
by campnsnooze (deleted)

Hi,
We also have a Future 430T and looking forward to seeing what you do with your van....more pics please. We were lucky, our flooring is in good condition but we have covered it with a carpet which is bleachable, so can scrub it if we need to. We also did the same as you with the template (which is now in the loft, if needed again).
Good luck with your rebuild.
Regards Chris and Keith

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:30 am
by magszh (deleted)

The rebuild is almost finished (lots of late nights), but once it's done I'll post a bunch of before and after pics :)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107570 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4