wi-fi in the van

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.529 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Not sure if this is in the correct place but here goes.

Free wi-fi is often available on some sites, particularly the reception/bar area on continental sites. This year I could just about pick it up some 60m away from source when on one site, but noticed others with wi-fi boosters reporting "5 bar reception" at 150m from source.

I think I need an aerial/receiver that I attach outside on could sit on top of the wardrobe as it should have a line of site through the canvass. This is then wired into a router, from which I can log into/onto? using my Kindle Fire. I think I need the router as I do not take a laptop that I could wire into the aerial/receiver.

Does anybody use such a system?
Would this EDup 16dBi 2.4ghz WiFi booster aerial directional antenna - Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16dBi-2-4ghz-W...119.m1438.l2649 do the job?
Could I use my spare TalkTalk Hawaii HG633 router? http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ta...33-super-router

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

Last edited Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm | Scroll up

RE: wi-fi in the van

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm
by hob (deleted)

Having trouble understanding you there ...........the gadget you linked to seems to have no way to connect to a router and from what I cat tell no batteries either
I'm assuming the usb lead is to get power from the pc so you would need somewhere to plug it into to power it up.

Presumably it also rebroadcasts the signal wirelessly so should be all that is needed?

Not tried one yet but have been considering one ............ I have noticed some signal loss on site wifi in the evenings though I think the silvered blinds might be the reason when drawn.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:15 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Try something like this, or talk to the people running this site.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/ib...ctional-system/

It works on the b/g/n standards but not the newest ac, but it should be fine. I'd check with them that it can pick up a 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal for future proofing.

(Please research this yourself as it is a lot to spend but to me it looks like it will do the job).

Eriba Familia 310 owner.

Tin Head likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Philip,
that looks like the sort of system I think I'm trying to replicate. I believe the iboost thingy is basically a router.
Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Hello Colin,

It's a router designed with software (web pages) in it to connect to a wireless network which it then boosts and broadcasts via its own network to your devices. You won't be able to replicate this with your Hawai router.

The iboost router is taking the role of the laptop in the ebay mentioned solution. Provided iboost works as stated, it will be a much more easy solution than trying to configure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows 7-10 (although with Windows 10 Anniversary edition this is a lot simpler). However, you have said you don't intend to carry a laptop.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.

Last edited Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Philip,
I am guessing in what you are saying/implying is I would be better off buying in a complete kit/package as it would be easier to use.
If that is the case it would appear that several are available. I have found two seem to come up as being use by caravaners:-
Solwise - https://www.solwise.co.uk/solution-wifi-holiday.htm
Kuma - Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kuma-Caravan-S...119.m1438.l2649 [sorry e-bay link that will go with time]

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Last edited Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:47 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 am
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Yes, you need to the complete package.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:27 am

Thank you Phil. I will start reading up all the reviews and put one on my shopping list for next season.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107570 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3