Broken window stay

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:42 pm
by JoJo (deleted)

One of the window stays got broken over the summer 😓. I've taken it off and tried fixing it with Araldite but it hasn't worked so I'm looking for a replacement.
Does anyone know if they're still available? Or have any thoughts on whether I could maybe just replace the broken bit?
Thanks, Jo

1506256598963824375762.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Jo & Mark, 1986 Puck called Sylvia pushing Renault Megane
Scroll up

RE: Broken window stay

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:15 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

Hi Jo. It's certainly very different to the stays on newer vans, even ours which is a 1999 model.

However as many caravan manufacturers use the same hardware then perhaps these people may have something similar :-https://www.caravanbreakers.net/

I know they've been able to help several Eriba owners with replacement windows.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:37 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

As always, try Jandi.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:53 pm
by Wilbysmiths (deleted)

Hi, I had the same break on my 87 familia. Exactly the same stays. I got a replacement pair from Jandi (around £50 for the pair). This is expensive compared to newer stays. However. The same length newer ones are too long (I tried). Leaving buying shorter ones and leaving them slightly extended, this means the window probably won't open fully! (I haven't tried this so is only a guess). With regard the replacements from jandi. I had 2 small issues. 1 The screw holes in the feet that go through the window were slightly wider apart (a few minutes with a drill. Carefully) sorted that. 2 one of the feet had been placed the wrong way round (the window wouldn't shut), sorted this by using a very small Allen key to hammer the pin out and turn the foot round, only took a couple of minutes. You might not find the same issues, but thought I would let you know. They keep the original look of the van and work like a charm. Hope this helps

Randa france and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 pm
by JoJo (deleted)

Thanks everyone for the quick response. I'm thinking I'll try the breakers first, £50 seems a lot to replace a bit of plastic!
Wilbysmith - thanks for the info. Were they new ones you got from Jandi? And are the left and right the same?
Jo x

Last edited Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.529 Posts

Jo,
One of the ratchet/fixed stages type stays on the window of the diner end over the bed of our previous 310 failed. I bought a next size up thumbscrew locking style that I believe your photo shows. These are available as a non specific van part as singles. You are not supposed to be able to cut them down but it is possible. I sleeved mine with a ring of 15mm copper pipe cut with a plumbers pipe cutter. This worked a treat as where the pipe was cut the edge rolled over and gave a very good pinch fit on the aluminium tube of the window stay arm.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:32 pm
by Wilbysmiths (deleted)

Yes they are the same. Jandi do supply them singularly (I think). And I have just found the email/receipt. Came to 60 including p&p which is a lot of money. The thumbscrews are for locking the window with a 3 stage opening lock. You might be able to cut a different type of stay as mentioned above( I didn't consider that, good call) but just a thought. your foot has broken and the replacement foot might be the wrong size for the holes in the window. I did look and ask around for a replacement foot but had no joy. Hence the purchase of the complete strut.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Might be worth getting a block of ally or nylon from an engineering shop and making one, shouldn't be too difficult.
Dave

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 pm
by hob (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Options on ebay (too many for me to look through) might find something amongst them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcaravan+.TRS0&_nkw=caravan+window+stay&_sacat=0

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
eribanaut and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm
by JoJo (deleted)

Not sure I've got the skills to make one 😂. Interestingly the foot looks like it could be a generic part so we'll keep an eye out for one. Meanwhile I'm going to have another go with glue. Has anyone used Q-Bond?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Is the broken bit thick enough to drill a couple of small holes to enable screwing or pinning and gluing to the foot?

randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 am
by JoJo (deleted)

Inevitably it's the thinnest/weakest bit that has broken which rather limits the options. I'm not giving up though, just keep thinking about what else I could spend £50 on! I'll let you know how I get on with another attempt at gluing it. I was probably a bit too hasty last time and should have left it for longer.
Thanks everyone for your help

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.747 Posts

Quote: JoJo wrote in post #12
Inevitably it's the thinnest/weakest bit that has broken which rather limits the options. I'm not giving up though, just keep thinking about what else I could spend £50 on! I'll let you know how I get on with another attempt at gluing it. I was probably a bit too hasty last time and should have left it for longer.
Thanks everyone for your help
I'd think about drilling and pinning the joint too, if possible, as Roger suggested above. Whether you can do that or not, I'd use superglue rather than Araldite anyway.

While you can't build up a fillet of the normal thin superglue by itself (and this is the best kind to use because it creeps into the joint faces more effectively than the gel type), sprinkling a bit of bicarbonate of soda on the glued joint will make it go off instantly.

If you repeat that process in several layers you can build up a very strong fillet - one that's stronger than the plastic itself.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 am

Interesting

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am
by JoJo (deleted)

Very interesting, thanks Pepe. Sounds like it will give a lot more strength to the joint. I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107570 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4