Roof leak

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm
by eribaista (deleted)

Hello all

We returned to out 9 month old Triton 430 this morning to find that rain had penetrated the roof. These are the conditions. We left the roof up. There is a strong wind - gusts up to gale force - and it has been raining hard for most of the morning. The penetration is only on the windward side. It appears that water has collected in the gulley formed by the two sections of fabric at the bottom of the ventilation panel and has come through and leaked on to the kitchen area. Is this to be expected in what are fairly severe weather conditions or do we have a problem?

Thanks

Damp Richard

Richard

VW Tiguan Eriba Touring 430GT
Scroll up

RE: Roof leak

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:57 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.505 Posts

Richard,
what you have experienced is not I believe unusual.It has happened to us on two occasions, but consider this is in eriba ownership dating back to 2003. Once I woke up to water dripping onto me. Heavy prolonged rain and a strong side wind are as you guess the culprits

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm
by eribaista (deleted)

Thanks Colin

Richard

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I would agree. In extremes of wind and rain it would not be uncommon for this to happen. Living in Scotland I have experienced this on a couple of occasions in eight years.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 pm
by Kheadatstbees (deleted)

The same thing happened to us on a windy night in Lochinver this summer. I used a couple of plastic chopping boards to cover the ventilation panel as an emergency cure. Fitted perfectly and the support for the roof let them in place

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:58 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

In strong wind and rain, I would shut the roof.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 pm
by Kheadatstbees (deleted)

It happened again this weekend. Same problem, ie a combination of strong wind and rain (not uncommon in Scotland) The problem is that the rain gets through the flyscreen, runs down the outside of the zipped flap and gets trapped at the bottom. It then leaks in through the zip. The whole thing is a seriously crap design. Our van is only just over a year old. I'm going to contact Hymer and also Adventure Leisure, but don't expect any joy from either. Any suggestions welcome (other than shutting the roof!)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am
by eribaista (deleted)

We are booked in for the first annual service in December and Lowdham will investigate but I suspect the conclusion is going to be an inherent design fault - which will be disappointing if it is the case. I haven't tried parking with the off-side to the prevailing weather. There is no vent on this side but of course lots of electrics.
Has anyone challenged Hymer/vendor in respect of warranty?

Richard

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 am
by Deeps (deleted)

LOL. There have been several instances where I would have loved to have taken issue with Hymer over their quality but as you have probably gathered from the recent Volkswagen carry-on, we European customers are really on a hiding to nothing. Please feel free to go first though and let us know how you get on.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm
by eribaista (deleted)

Will do. Breath not being held.

Richard

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0