Converting a Puck to Single Berth.

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:23 pm
by King of Scots (deleted)

You might remember me with my wee Puck and the elderly classic Mercedes at Stratford in August. I had blundered into the Eribafolk meet but was only too happy to meet all the different folk. Some of you would know that it was my intention to alter the interior of my caravan as I now have a rigid right leg with no knee bend. I found it awkward sitting in the caravan as the legroom was insufficient to accommodate my leg and I was tending to sit twisted.
Well when I came home I dug out the measuring tape, paper and pencil and gave it a deal of thought before coming up with a design that I felt happy with - then it was out with the circular saw, plane, screwdriver etc. Basically what I have done is removed one of the bed boxes and constructed a fitted cabinet around 6" narrower but twice the height which gives me at least the same amount of storage plus the addition of a worktop (which the Puck is somewhat short on) plus an additional two gang electric socket. At the bottom accessed by the vertical sliding door is a storage area for my trolley jack and barbeque stuff. Alongside that is the strange looking box attached to the side of the unit. This contains a funnel arrangement with a tube taking fluids down to a storage tank below the caravan - suffice to say it saves me going to the toilet during the night. The cover keeps it looking a bit neater and is merely an ice-cream carton clipped over the funnel. On top are two compartments accessed through lids which also form the worktop. As you can see from the photographs these have hoppers inside for the storage of clothing and other goods. Below the hoppers there is a false bottom with loose plywood covers over further smaller but similar hoppers which will probably carry tinned foods and general items. You can clearly see the chrome electric socket sitting flush on top.
Of course this adaptation meant that the wooden battens which initially carried the bed when pulled out from the side of the caravan are now no longer viable. So I made up hinging panels which when the bed is not in use are secured against the bed-box with sliding bolts. When the bed mattress is drawn out these sliding bolts lock the mattress in place so it cannot move during the night. The underside of the mattress has been reinforced with sheet steel to ensure that it has adequate strength.
It has made a tremendous difference to the inside of the caravan - it feels much more spacious. I've even invested in a small Tassimo coffee machine and an electric toaster to go along with my microwave and mini-oven.
The photographs should serve to give you some idea of the modifications I've made.

[cab 5.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)pg|none|auto]]

cab 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) cab 2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) cab 4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

cab 6.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) cab 7.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

, Pip1136, Ray Lawrence, , Magpie and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:35 pm | Scroll up

RE: Converting a Puck to Single Berth.

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm
by Randa france | 13.163 Posts

Well done John. A nice looking job and plenty more space for you

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12785 topics and 107386 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0