Replacement jockey wheel assembly

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm
by Len Amey (deleted)

Has anyone had any experience with a replacement jockey wheel assembly with a larger 260mm dia pneumatic/puncture proof tyre?

Ours has the std narrow 200mm dia solid tyre which digs into the gravel on the drive when we try & manoeuvre the van. It's 11 years old & is pretty much knackered so needs replacing anyway, they're as cheap as chips on Fleabay & not a great deal more expensive than a solid one.

My concern is ground clearance whilst towing as it will be 60mm lower, I can't see it being a problem given it's distance from the hitch but if anyone has any experience I would be grateful for your input. I know it won't cure the problem entirely but should be an improvement, not only at home but on site.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Replacement jockey wheel assembly

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 pm
by jobberwock (deleted)

Same here with the gravel drive.
I was looking at replacement wheels in the caravan shop yesterday and as you say are reasonably priced at under £20.They did look a bit wide though and so am not sure they would fit as a replacement for the existing jockey wheel. There was also a complete replacement with a larger wheel and leg etc but this was much more expensive.

I too would like to know if there is a significant improvement for using on a gravel drive ?....I think it would take tractor tyres on the Eriba itself !

Cheers

Ian

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm
by Len Amey (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Ian,
I am actually going to replace the whole assembly, the pneumatic/puncture proof wheels are 85mm wide o/all against the solid wheel which is only 60mm o/all so you would definitely need the whole kit & caboodle. I'll probably go for the puncture proof but I have only seen them with plastic hubs which tend to degrade under UV light.
I couldn't understand where the bits of red plastic had come from on my drive a few years ago, I though some bugger had chucked them over the fence. I found out a week later, I had pumped up the wheelbarrow wheel 3 weeks before & left it leaning against a wall, the sun had heated up the tyre until it blew the hub apart, it was getting on a bit & had faded from bright red to a milky pink so not surprising really.

Have a look at these:-

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48mm-Medium-d...119.m1438.l2649

Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARDCASTLE-48...119.m1438.l2649

Regards
Len

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 pm
by jobberwock (deleted)

Very Good Len and Very Good prices....much better than my local caravan dealers .

I'd be very interested to hear what sort of difference it makes to manouvering on gravel.

All the best

Ian

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 30, 2018 9:23 am
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

I replaced a pneumatic wheeled jockey wheel with a solid wheel, 70mm wide and 220mm diameter. Been OK over 3 seasons on all sorts of terrain.

Really puncture proof

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 30, 2018 1:21 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.832 Posts

This thread from 2014 (resurrected in 2016) may be of interest Pneumatic jockey wheels

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Wed May 30, 2018 1:22 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:01 pm
by Len Amey (deleted)

Thanks Aaron, but I shall definitely be going for the puncture proof version so hopefully shouldn't be a problem. It was the increase of 60mm in dia that I was more concerned with re ground clearance.
It'll be 60mm lower than at present but I wondered if anyone had had a problem with one touching bottom so to speak, particularly over speed bumps or getting on & off a ferry. I can't see it being a problem under normal circumstances.
I'll also hang onto the solid wheel & make up a couple of spacers so I can use it as a spare should the replacement eventually give up the ghost.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12824 topics and 107638 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3