USB sockets / voltmeter without drilling cupboards

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I’ve been wanting to fit some USB sockets for a while but have been reluctant to drill a hole in the Eriba’s cupboards. I usually have an electric hook up but need some power sockets for festivals and occasional off grid use. I bought a combined USB / voltmeter socket from eBay (thank you Adrian Reeves) but struggled to find a suitable place to locate it.

Problem solved! I bought a small wooden box from eBay (about £3 including delivery) and cut two holes in it and mounted the USB socket inside. Ive attached 2 cables with crocodile clips and fitted an in-line fuse to the positive cable.

Now I can just attach the crocodile clips to the battery terminals and place the USB box on the floor or on top of the seat back. It’s neat, unobtrusive and avoids drilling holes in my cabinets. It’s a very simple project but a nice little addition to my ‘van.

A68CED1F-55BF-4F92-85D7-AF229C477309.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)04C478A7-8F07-4293-AEDA-33C7DE606118.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: USB sockets / voltmeter without drilling cupboards

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Nice solution.
Like you, we had concerns but tackled the problem from a different angle. I replaced the two spotlights with spotlights that had integrated usb sockets. As for the voltmeter, I found a German based company that has a little Bluetooth transmitter you clip to the battery terminals an an app for your mobile to measure use. The spots look like they come from the same company as the original Eriba installed ones, but we prefer the design. Which is a bonus. My route cost more but we happy with the result. About £55 in total 12 months ago.

Spots - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BZ1BS63
BatteryGuard Bluetooth monitor - https://www.battery-guard.net/en/

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Last edited Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:58 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:51 am
by RichL (deleted)

Sorry to be dippy - I am new! So the reason you want to have this device is so you can charge a phone or other device from a USB port that is connected straight to the battery because when you are off-grid the three pin sockets so not work? Is that right? Thanks

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.103 Posts

You are correct.

Here's another solution tapping into the lights

Fitting a twin USB 12V 4.2A charging adapter

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12834 topics and 107698 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3