Limescale build up in toilet waste tank

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Does anybody use the Thetford Cassette Tank Cleaner. Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thetford-Cass...me/352107917440 .
I've noticed a build up and want to get rid of it. I'm aware you have to be careful with certain chemicals,and this eems to do the job. Any alternatives?

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

RE: Limescale build up in toilet waste tank

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:21 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I’ve used it a few times over the years but recently I’ve bought kilrock (?) and, having removed the blade mechanism, brushed it over the working parts. I reckon that anything branded for caravan or camping use is overpriced compared with the everyday equivalents.

Eriba Troll 540GT (#6) and Galaxy.
Don’t grow up.....it’s a trap!
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't like paying out good money if I don't need to and initially thought about a pint of 50p vinegar, top up with water and leave upside down for 24 hrs.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:02 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #3
I don't like paying out good money if I don't need to and initially thought about a pint of 50p vinegar, top up with water and leave upside down for 24 hrs.

Colin

Add a Tbsp of Bicarbonate of Soda to the vinegar for extra oomph !!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:09 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

You wouldn't want to soak in vinegar if there are any metal parts (thinking of the spring in the vent).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thank your sir. I've oredered a 1L bottle off e-bay for £9.93, Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilrock-Mega-...ze/351650101965
When the an is out for it's service next year I'll take the mechanism out and brush on as you advise, and leave the tank to soak.

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

RE: Limescale build up in toilet waste tank - and How the float works

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Job done, didn't take long. Used about 150/200ml of chemical in 2L of hot water and a good pair of rubber glooves. Took the blade assembly out as advised, soaked and scrubbed it and then rinsed it off. The original 2L and rinse water then went into the tank and I worked around the tank with a small scrubbing brush. When I ran my gloved hand around the inside of the tank I could feel the limescale coming off.
Although it was not as bad as I thought it was so easy to do it's worthwhile doing each year as it was so easy and it now looks like new.

Only problem is I cannot figure out how the float mechanism works. I've put everything back as it came out, but the float does not make contact with anything to give a full warning. My model of tank is a 400R and the float points towards the handle end of the cassette. It can only fit one way as indicator marks are in the plastic to show yoy where to line it up.
It's quite confusing when you do a youtube and general internet search as similar looking units have the float pointing in opposite direction. I can only assume that the two small round black lumps on the float body must raise to such a level as to be be detected by a sensor inside the caravan body where the cassette slides in.
Can anybody confirm if my guess is correct?

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm
by Bathchap | 52 Posts

I have never taken the cassette apart for cleaning but have successfully used the Thetford Tank Cleaner on an occasional basis. When leaving site I add the product to the tank with some water, the agitation arising from towing the caravan to the next destination is enough to remove the bits off the internal surfaces. I sympathise with your efforts to put the float back together but can offer no practical advice.... when I take something apart reassembly inevitably produces some spare washers or springs that are then homeless!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:58 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Colin. I cannot ‘confirm’ your guess but it certainly appears logical. Could it have magnets to sense the float level?
Also, one of the larger accessory companies on line have exploded diagrams of many items and I bet the Thetford cassettes are there. Try Leisureshop direct.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks, tried there, but looks like generic photos are used. The image for a 400 Right does infact show a 400L, and parts on the exploded view have been rotated 180 degrees. doesn't make life easy.

Colin

Found this on The Practical Caravan forum:-
"It's a reed switch actuated by a magnet on the float arm within the cassette. The float is a notorious cause of trouble on all models,even the old ones with a mechanical display. It is far more reliable to simply look down the hole"

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:24 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Colin, that 400L thing rather threw me a while back when I ordered a new cassette. I hadn’t spotted that in fact the R and L versions were actually the same but the blade and working mechanism was simply removed and rotated. I was about to hit the send button on a complaining email about being sent the wrong item when I spotted the solution. 😄

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

It's reasurring that we both come to the same conclusions/answers eventually, but I wish I looked as wise as you.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107697 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4