Damp Meter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:52 am
by Randa france | 13.204 Posts

Taser, Taser, Taser.................................So I'm armed and ready to tackle anything in front of me with my 9 volts so beware

Just found this useful video but my 10 quid damp meter has wood settings for 4 types of wood.

a) Teak, Afrormosia, Walnut, Rubber Tree, Imbula, Kokrodua, Niove Bidinkala, Cork
b) White Popular, Keruing, Beech, Cedar, Tola
c) Lauan, Elm, Ash, Fir, Maple, Padauk, Oak, Cherry
d) Basewood, Larch, Pine, Birch

As the wood in my Eriba no longer has any leaves on it I don't know what it is and what setting to use. Furthermore, I'm mostly interested in the hardboard? lining. Any ideas?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:52 am | Scroll up

RE: Damp Meter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:07 am
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

Roger,
some of those combinations of timbers in the 4 types do look a bit strange, but the manufacturer obviously know there stuff.
From memory the meter is registering electrical conductivity or resistance and meters can be cllibrated. Try searching "moisture meter calibration" and loads comes up.
Alternatively and more easily I'd push it into a bit you know is fine and work through the readings on the 4 settings until you find one that saus all is well and stick with that setting.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:08 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 am
by SeptimusFry (deleted)

Agreed a v useful video. But the most important part comes at about 6:00, the creation and upkeep of a detailed log of readings. No matter the accuracy of the meter, it will almost certainly be very repeatable, so comparing two readings from different, but atmospherically similar, days may well be more useful than a spot reading from an accurate and expensive meter. Again, it's that log book which will give confidence. Well done the Trudgian !

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:48 am
by Randa france | 13.204 Posts

Thanks both
Colin. The meter was purchased because it did mention using it in a caravan but I get your point (pun intended). Just compare it to a piece I'm happy with.
Septimus Fry. Yes the Trudgian videos, and there are many of them, are quite interesting and sometimes very useful.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107694 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2