Insurance and the claims process

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:33 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 299 Posts

As I just posted on my travel-log, we’ve just had an meeting between our Troll 530 and an Artic truck, where the truck came out as the clear winner.
I’ve started climbing the learning curve regarding caravan insurance claims and blimey, it’s not the same experience as sorting a car out!

The first thing was that I was told by my car insurance that I needed to claim for the van on my caravan insurance. I had assumed that since it was attached to the car then they (LV) would have covered it, but since it’s a clear claim on the other party’s insurance then I don’t really care who handles it, and it is better to use the caravan insurance which is on a new for old policy anyway.

Next; when I called the car insurance, they took the details and got in touch with their repair company and I received a call to make arrangements for the assessment within the hour. I also had a call from Enterprise who wanted to send a rental car to me, but the Hyundai was still roadworthy so it wasn’t needed. It was a different experience with the caravan insurance; after I explained that the van was being recovered home by Red Pennant, they told me to get 2 quotes for the repairs. So the onus was on me to find someone to fix it.

I’m rather glad about having to find a repair company as it happens because, with 3 years warranty remaining, and knowing how singleminded Hymer are, I want the repairs done by an approved dealership. We bought from ALV so that is my first choice, but I have to get it to them for an assessment and quote. 300 miles round trip. I called Lowdhams since they are much nearer but they are only accepting work from their purchasing customers.

I’m determined to make sure that the van is repaired to ‘as new’ condition since we’ve cosseted and polished it so it was kept like that. I’ve a feeling that there will be areas where this will inevitably be compromised but that’s my starting position since I’ve been paying the premium for new for old.

I’m also going to give Kool classics a call, to see what they think, since they only do repairs and service. I don’t see any sense in contacting general caravan repair companies as they won’t know the construction and the warranty will be voided.

My overriding thought is Thank god it’s still towable, otherwise it would be even more difficult to sort out.

So, I’m ready for your thoughts and experiences everyone…
Has anyone had a similar experience where the frame is bent? Looks to me like they will have to remove the aluminium skin to fix the tubular frame. Sound cheap!

Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

RE: Insurance and the claims process

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:47 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

I replied to you last night on your log thread qv but if your frame is damaged, there is no option other than to remove the lower skin to effect the repairs.

Here's the link again: Eriba repairs

Forget a large estimate and prepare yourself for an eye-watering, buttock-clenching one instead.

Best of luck.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:16 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

I've just enlarged your pictures and have to agree with Colin that your van could well be a write off.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:39 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

As you say Steve, we often wonder what we get for our money with caravan insurance.

With the car which is often cheaper to insure that the van, we get cossetted over and they send a replacement car and arrange for an approved garage to come along and pick it up.

With a caravan you are told to go out there and do it yourself including arranging for it to be delivered to the repair shop you chose. Yet to get insurance at all you have to sometimes get CRis Registration, a suitably ungainly wheel clamp, an expensive tow hitch lock, suitable burgular proof accommodation for the van, a ground anchor if you can, perhaps a rottweiler thrown in for good measure.

It's a good job that you left Jan and Betty to guard the van for I bet if you hadn't the Insurance company would have denied your claim because you didn't have a tow hitch lock or a wheel clamp in place when you left it.

One point about the car insurance apropos towing a trailer/caravan. You have to inform your car insurer that your car has a modification, ie. a tow bar fitted. It would also be sensible to tell them you use it. Your trailer is then third party insured on the car policy if it is the cause of damage to any other vehicle. I don't think it is comprehensively insured with the car.

Roger the Grouch.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:47 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:05 pm

I’m going to go over it with a fine tooth comb tonight;
I’m no expert but I’ve discovered a slight bulge at the waistline under the offside rear window so that part of the frame is bent also.
Wheel arch surround is coming off one side and the external table rail is a bit loose at one end.
Tbh I hope it is written off as a new one will be a quicker job and no worries about future issues.

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:30 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.096 Posts

I seem to remember someone getting a repair quote by just sending photos of the damage. Might be worth asking your preferred dealer.
Steve

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:57 am
by Simboc2004 | 743 Posts

So sorry you have had that happen to you. Perhaps better than being abroad at the time, but still a horrible experience. I hope you can get it all sorted speedily - and to your satisfaction.

Simon and Claire

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:50 pm
by Old Rocker | 526 Posts

I sent multiple photos of my damage to Cameron at Leisure 1st, we did buy it from them. Prepare yourself, for a reasonable sized dent on one corner resulted in top and botom reskin on one corner. The quote over £17k. Reskin top and bottom one sidr and straighten slight damsge to frame. It was accepted aftrter others refused to quote, and is now as good as new.
With the damage on yours it looks like reskin all round top and bottom and frame needs straightening
As already said could well be a write off with the damage on yours

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies

Last edited Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:06 pm
by Old Rocker | 526 Posts

Aaaagh - repairs
This was the "slight damage" to ours compared to yours
No one was interested in repairing it
"It's an Eriba" sharp intake of breath

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies

Last edited Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:07 am
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

Zitat
Old Rocker:- Prepare yourself, for a reasonable sized dent on one corner resulted in top and botom reskin on one corner. The quote over £17k.

Very glad we have an old van.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Inspecta_Gadget and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:28 pm

Quick update
We had a visit from the appointed engineer on Thursday, who was obviously unable to say much, but had a good look at the damage.
We took the van to ALV on Friday; they said it was beyond economic repair and phoned the engineer, who apparently agreed with them.

So, it looks like Little Flo is no more. We’re still waiting on the insurance company to make it official, but it appears it’s going to be written off.

Apparently, the side panels are £3k each. Multiply that by 4.
They did say that the whole body had pushed forward on the chassis then sprung back, which explains why the a-frame plastic cover was cracked. The wood panel around the fire was also cracked, which we hadn’t noticed.
Now got to start looking for a replacement- at least there is plenty of stock at the dealerships now. Hope one of them matches our wish-list.

It’s strange and a bit sad looking at Flo in our back yard, knowing that she’ll be taken for salvage soon. Thinking of hiding some leaflets to this site for whoever buys it - lots of useful bits available as spares. All windows except rear; roof is perfect, sink, table, most wood panels etc.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:23 am
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

It is good to hear that things are moving quickly and I do hope the paperwork gets sorted as quickly.. I'd imagine this is going to be a bit of "to and fro" on the settlement fee as for a change lots of vans are up for sale to base a settlement on. At least this will give you the chance to get another van in a sensible time frame and enjoy your summer.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:25 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 113 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1