Wash room door detached on 2023 troll

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:26 pm
by John Rowland | 14 Posts

We bought a Troll 540 in 2023. the washroom door hinges have worked loose and the door has fallen off. Anyone else with the same problem? I'll put plastic wood in the holes and screw the hinges on the door back in place

Scroll up

RE: Wash room door detached on 2023 troll

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:25 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

John, unfortunately this is a well documented case with several threads on this forum covering it. You could start by looking here:-
Bathroom door opening fix
The cause of the problem is not the hinges or crappy plywood used in the cabinetwork .Your first step is you need to stop the door from moving. Once this is done you can repair the fixing of the hinges.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
John Rowland likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:41 am
by Sparks | 36 Posts

Oh no, I have a 2024 540 on order and had hoped that the door issue had been resolved with the more secure top and bottom door latching arrangement. I currently have a 2013 530 and we use bungees to stop the door from opening in transit. But my issue is with the cheap poor quality hinges that fracture so easily with road movement. They have become consumable items for me.

I think I shall follow a suggestion made by Colin to brace the end washroom wall against the overhead locker where there is currently free space. I somehow had hoped that these issues may have been overcome!

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:44 am
by eribaMotters | 5.485 Posts

You say "hoped that the door issue had been resolved with the more secure top and bottom door latching arrangement"
I'm wondering from your comment if Hymer/Eriba have reverted to the top and bottom claw type arrangement on a top to bottom bar as found in the wardrobe. This used to be the fitting also used on the bathroom door and seemed to work well.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:56 am
by Sparks | 36 Posts

Yes indeed and it looks to be fit for the job unlike the pre 2023 arrangement with just the top locator pin. But it looks as though there are still problems with hinge/screw fittings although the new hinges appear to be of a better design.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:34 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 299 Posts

Bungee strap from door handle to coat hooks at the side works just fine.
The only time our door swung open was when I didn’t fit the bungee and Jan thought I had so she didn’t check! Luckily, the spare wheel was stored over the axle, so it couldn’t move too far, and we found it when we stopped at an Aire for coffee.

That was before the truck wrote the van off - seems insignificant now!

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:00 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

2023 Troll. Last Summer - 2000 miles across France - no problem. September from East Anglia to Tewkesbury and then on to Wales and the door fell off! I stuck the hinges back in with Araldite and matchsticks and it held. At the first service Leisure first added three more hinges - so now there are seven down the door. Another French trip this year and, touch wood, door is still there. Mind you we haven't been to Tewkesbury yet this year.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:59 am
by Simboc2004 | 743 Posts

They have clearly swapped to a material (MDF? Particleboard?) that isn't really up to the job. Screws do work loose in the older plywood, but can usually just be retightened. I found my wardrobe door hinge screws were all loose on our latest trip away - one had dropped out and was nestling on the heater. The only really effective way to stop these modern Eriba door screws from pulling out would be to use "inter" cabinet screws - like you get from IKEA to hold two cabinets together. Also known as Chicago screws. Picture shown of Inter Screws available from Screwfix. Plenty of similar designs available on Amazon or Ebay, however the problem might well be accessing both sides of the attachment board? Or it being visible when done. Basically shoddy product development by Hymer/Eriba.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2024-07-20 at 07.58.42.png 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:02 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0