Flo Gas 5kg Gas light bottle. Size and Regulator question

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:04 pm
by Stuppa | 6 Posts

Having just saved 3KG by moving to a DKN grey waste container from Aquaroll I'm wanting to take advantage of the weight benefit of moving to a Flo-Gas Gas Light bottle from a 6 KG Flo Gas Propane Bottle (which should save me ~5KG Tare weight ).

Two questions come to mind:

1 The bottle diameter looks tight for our 2019 540 Troll - has anyone made the move and managed to fit it in the gas locker successfully.

2. What changes do I need to make to the connection to the Van's regulator

Many thanks

2018 540 GT harnessed to a 2021 Diesel Golf 37- 42 MPG
Scroll up

RE: Flo Gas 5kg Gas light bottle. Size and Regulator question

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.554 Posts

David, the bottle is the same as, in fact is the old BP Gaslight bottle you see in the picture here of one in my Touring some years ago.
gas bottle set-up.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
It does fit, but you will need to move the rubber stoppers on the locker floor and relocate the retaining strap. The bottle does require a different fitting. From memory I believe I used a 27mm clip on regulator. This is the one that Flo Gas list on there website. https://www.flogas.co.uk/product/27mm-pr...der-accessories
I think this looks like the one I used to use:- https://lpgjets.com/products/kosangas-ga...0RoCqq0QAvD_BwE

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:11 pm
by Stuppa | 6 Posts

Thanks Colin
That's most kind of you to supply the links as well. It gives me the confidence to progress now.
This will be the last job of the year for me having just replaced the Truma boiler.

David

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:35 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 320 Posts

2019 van and you’ve had to replace the boiler?!?

Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate, no longer pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:27 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.035 Posts

I'm intrigued why a boiler would need replacing after just 5 years too? However if you're scrabbling for weight allowance have you allowed for the fact that the weight through the hitch (noseweight) is borne by the car, not by the caravan axle.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:57 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.105 Posts

Thats an interesting point Andy. But isn't the MTPLM also based on the the load the structure of the caravan can take as well?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:03 pm
by Stuppa | 6 Posts

The boiler failed due to a leak at the lip of the vessel and not viable to weld repair. Yes I'd expect it to last longer than that. The original installation had not fixed the boiler to the floor via the ply base plate particularly well allied to a possible weak production weld at the lip was the probably cause of the failure.

I had the option to replace the vessel only for about £260 and frankly the option to pay the extra and get a fully warranted new boiler with the associated peace of mind drove me to replace the whole boiler. The replacement was an easy job. I'll sell the old boiler for spares later.

As regards the weight there is a limit on the towball at about 75kg with the our car. With two electric bikes and other bits and bobs in the gas locker there is no added value in driving up and down the country with an 8Kg steel cylinder when the 3.4 Kg Gas light does the job. we are using about 2 kg of gas a year. Hence the case for light weighting was easily made.

The more trips we take the more we realise how much stuff was not being used. In fact the cabinet between the beds just gets in the way so that has been left at home for the past year with no detriment. Less is more!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:30 pm

Your concerns on tow ball limit/nose weight are interesting. What you have to consider is you are looking at moments of force, simple levers calculation. adding a couple of 17kg bikes on the front does not mean a 34 kg increase at the hitch..
Measure the distance from the axle to the load point. Multiply this by the load and then divide by the distance from the hitch to the axle. You may be surprised by the answers. If you usually carry a tool bag and levelling ramps etc in the gas locker and them move them to the rear locker this will have a significant effect on nose weight as you are doubling the gain due to the new placement.
Just putting the bikes batteries in the car will have a far greater effect than any exchange in gas cylinders.
My advice would be to get the van on a hard level surface. Get the bathroom scales out and place a stout bit of timber under the hitch onto the scales. Now start moving things around and enjoy the results of your efforts.

Colin

Edit - if you do still need to get the nose weight down a little then prime the water system and fill the Truma hot water heater that should be at rear of the van, then empty your on board tank. This is what we do as it is safe to travel this way and we can set up more quickly on site.
We run a Feeling 425, same layout as a Troll 530, with two bikes on the front of 15kg and 17kg, and have a nose weight of between 60 and 65kg.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:41 pm
by Stuppa | 6 Posts

Good points and well made Colin.
We use a Milenco nose weight gauge to get the numbers and yes the laws of levers does deliver the answer when you shift the mass behind the axel or into the car. I'm driven as much by not carrying "excess baggage" as a principal. By the way the new cylinder fits brilliantly into the gas locker and the new pig tail and adapter arrived today.

Thanks again for your advice.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:44 pm

David, as you like weights then the attached may be of use for you to customise.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Feeling weights.docx Feeling weights.docx

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:46 am
by Stuppa | 6 Posts

Thanks Colin
I love this,
In a similar vein I took an inventory of everything in our house and have used that to declutter out lives.
Control is everything!
David

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12844 topics and 107741 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4