Accessing the spare wheel

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:56 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

In our thirteen years of ownership of the Triton I can only recall having removed and replaced the spare wheel once to check on the condition of the tyre and find out for myself what sort of a job it would be if I had the misfortune to have to attempt an emergency roadside repair. (I took this picture in October 2016 so it must have been eight years ago.)

Spare02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Yesterday I suddenly wondered how easy (or difficult) it would be for a mechanic to change a caravan wheel at the roadside if we were unlucky enough to have a puncture on our travels. As it turned out, I'm glad I did.

If you haven't yet tried to remove your spare wheel from its underslung rear cradle it might be a good idea at least to check that any padlock fitted can still be easily unlocked and you know which of your keys fits it.

The steel spare wheel is held under the rear floor of the caravan in a wire frame that pivots to allow it to be removed towards the rear of the van. The rear-mounted fastening clamp is also pivoted and when removed the cradle holding the wheel is retained by a short chain attached to it with a carabiner type clip.

The carabiner on our van had practically rusted away and parts of the cradle and its retaining fastener were also quite rusty.

Spare wheel01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

My first problem was that the padlock was seized but, to my amazement, after a couple of squirts of GT85 spray the key turned and it could be removed. I then spent a frustrating amount of time trying to wrestle the wheel out of its cradle before realising that it must be secured to the cradle somehow. This turned out to be by means of a vertical, threaded stud that passes through the centre of the wheel holding it to the cradle by means of a large domed plate and a thankfully nylon wingnut that was held in place by a 'P' clip that is pushed through a hole in the stud. As access to this area is difficult for an old man I had to work all this out by touch rather than by sight.

Spare wheel07.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When the fixings had been removed it was relatively straightforward to wiggle the wheel out under the back of the caravan. When I get time I will have to clean up and respray the wheel and also fit a new length of chain but for now they will have to do. The tyre has clearly never been in contact with the road and although old (I bet it is the original that was supplied with the van in 2003) it appears to be in serviceable condition at least for emergency use. If you look closely at 2 o'clock, 7 o'clock and 10 o'clock you will see wear in the sidewall caused by its rubbing against the cradle frame. This wear is only superficial.

Spare wheel05.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Before replacing the wheel I removed the rear part of the cradle, wirebrushed it and part of the main frame and the domed plate and gave them a coat of silver Hammerite that I had lying around. I fitted a new split pin in the rear part of the cradle and a new stainless steel carabiner (four for £4.19 from Amazon) before refitting the spare wheel ready for our upcoming holiday.

Spare wheel04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
From left to right: the rear locking part of the cradle; domed wheel retaining plate; nylon wingnut and 'P' clip;stainless steel padlock; new split pin and carabiner.

Spare wheel02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
This is how it all goes back together.

Spare wheel03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Spare wheel reloaded and ready for the off.

A few words of caution.

1. access to the spare wheel is difficult particularly if you are getting on in years and/or not in the best of health. As I'm sure many will agree, getting down is not so bad, it's the getting up again that is the problem.

2. a steel wheel and tyre are bloody heavy, particularly if you are operating in a confined space and I'm sure it would be quite easy to do oneself a mischief heaving on a recalcitrant wheel trying to get it over the securing stud and then lifting the cradle up into the locked position. So be careful and if in doubt get someone younger and fitter to at least check that your security lock can still be operated and with which key.

3. if your caravan roadwheels are aluminium and your spare is steel you will need to carry a set of wheelnuts with the correct taper to allow the steel spare to be fitted safely and correctly. Be sure to check that you have these on board before you go touring.

Rest assured that I have no intention of trying to change a caravan tyre at the roadside myself, that's what Red Pennant and my UK breakdown insurance are for but as I was imagining a rescue mechanic having to cut my lock off with an angle grinder at least I now don't have that worry.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Randa france, Simboc2004 and addisb like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:06 pm | Scroll up

RE: Accessing the spare wheel

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:05 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.525 Posts

We had to change a wheel once roadside in France many years ago. Thankfully it was in our PuckL where the spare is stored in a side locker, accessed externally. A couple of years ago Neil thought as you and tried to remove the spare from under the Troll. Having done it he realised he never wanted to do it again and the wheel is now stored under the bed in the Troll (we leave the lounge permanently made up into a bed).

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Simboc2004 and Inspecta_Gadget like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:46 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

We removed ours several years ago and it now travels in the boot of the car.
You also have to remember that if your Eribafolk has a flat tyre the underside will be even closer to the ground.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . 1995 Eriba Puck flying behind Ford Kuga 2L Titanium FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:47 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:16 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.098 Posts

The vertical threaded rod was cut off mine (on ours the wheel was firmly held by the frame of the cradle) . This makes the wheel easier to remove.
Steve

AlanC and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:52 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.505 Posts

Ah, another advantage of my boring looking Feeling. The spare is in the big front locker.
5-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:57 pm
by Simboc2004 | 749 Posts

After reading of someone else's problems with getting at the spare wheel, I got mine out to test it and found it a real pig to remove. I too, have since removed the centre threaded rod and travelled many miles since with no problems (I have some lightweight high-density foam to stop it sliding around). Because there is now no central rod in the way, I was also able to put it into a tyre "bag" (with drawstring closure that sits inside the inverted wheel). This keeps the wheel clean. I did away with the padlock too - just leaving an allen bolt and nut as enough security. i mean - is anyone really going to pinch an Eriba spare? And, bagged up, it's not even obvious it's a wheel.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_2715.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Aaron Calder and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:12 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:16 am
by Poptop320 | 2.628 Posts

If you have a Familia with a motor mover the cradle arms have to be bent so that it will clear the mover bar that runs the width of the van, otherwise the spare tyre isn’t coming out. Also the lock it is easy to catch ion the floor and damage so it won’t unlock, I put mine in a sandwich bag and taped it upside down to the cradle out of harms way.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:52 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #7
I put mine in a sandwich bag and taped it upside down to the cradle out of harms way.
The spare wheel?

Cripes!

How big are your sandwiches?

Randa france, Poptop320 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:43 am

I don't think Poptop refers to his caravan...

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:43 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:04 am
by Trialframe | 5 Posts

I was interested in one of the above posts which states that you need another set of wheel bolts to fit the steel spare?
Can anyone else confirm this, and if so - are these supplied with the caravan?
Thanks

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:24 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.525 Posts

You definitely need different bolts for steel and alloy wheels. Ours came with our van but don’t know if that was from new or the previous owner bought a set.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:41 am

Agreed - we have a second set of bolts to fit the steel spare wheel

Last edited Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:42 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:15 pm
by pedrobedro | 13 Posts

I had to cut the lock off our Puck spare with the angle grinder then I put a drill through the hole to make it a bit bigger. If the lock slides round as far as the bend in the hasp it is hard to get out so I put a tie wrap round the replacement to stop it sliding.

1998 Puck towed with Vitara 1.6

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:16 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1