Replacing the pop-top shockcord

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 02, 2015 12:40 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

A couple of years ago I drove back from France with a generous chunk of the pop-top canvas squashed outside on the roof (ho-hum!) so I thought I'd best replace the shockcord that pulls the material inside the elevating part of the roof as it is lowered.

For information:

1. The original shockcord on my van was 2.5mm diameter but as I wanted a stronger pull I replaced it with 4.0mm stayed through eBay at £5.95 inc postage for 10 meters. Bouncing Rabbit

2. In actually used only four metres so I have enough to do the job again - I'd say that on a Triton you need to buy a 5 metre length. (The old, floppy one I removed measured 6 meters so no wonder it wasn't working.)

3.Cut the old cord and tie one end to the new before removing so you can pull the new cord into place. Don't try to pull it all through from one position, do each corner separately. (Grannies and sucking eggs comes to mind but it made the job much easier.)

4. You can use any old knot to tie the ends but there are simple knots that permit adjustment so you can get the tension spot-on. Not being a sailor in had to look for a simple guide to doing a suitable hitch. (Tie a loop in one end) animated Buntline hitch

5. Don't forget to heat-seal the cut ends of the cord to prevent fraying. I used a kitchen gas lighter to do this.

All in all, another quick (15 minute), simple but very satisfying maintenance job.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Poptop320, , , , shrublands, sparrowhawk and thecolliss like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:52 pm | Scroll up

RE: Replacing the pop-top shockcord

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 02, 2015 4:12 pm
by crow (deleted)

I used the spare shock cord to make an indoor clothes line the full length of the troll.
Make the loops to fit over the roof latches and secure with small zip ties, ok for tea towels
or smalls. Makes good strong elastics to keep awning poles up together, just overlap the
ends a couple of inches and zip tie lots of other uses for the gash bits as well.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 02, 2015 4:47 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

I found it best to tension the cord with the pop top down to ensure the canvas pulled inwards effectively.

Eriba Feeling 425, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 pm
by sarah orme (deleted)

I had no shock cord in mine at all, and the fabric has gone mouldy, so it seems as if it is needed. I managed to thread new cord through today using a wire tie (bendy but rigid enough to push through) with a piece of slippery string tied to that, then the shock cord looped through the string. I pushed the lot through the holes one at a time with the blunt end of a knitting needle (the woman's touch!) It was fiddly as the wire ties kept sticking in the hem instead of coming out the other end, but it worked okay. It took about 30 minutes for the whole job. It is easier to thread things round corners when the roof is almost down - that way you can straighten the corners a bit, and you can still just reach from the inside through the zips.

Now I've got to attack the mouldy canvas - hoping I can brighten it up a bit and remove the unpleasant odour. I have to say the whole thing is very grey, and makes the Tardis a bit dark inside. I would quite like to replace the canvas with new cream canvas, but I think this is probably quite a tricky job involving more than my DIY abilities. We'll live with it for now.

Randa france, Eribanut and shrublands like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 08, 2016 6:09 pm
by Ribski | 1.468 Posts

Finally took the plunge and just replaced my roof 'shock cord' - after having got away with shortening it by knotting a large loop in it and hiding it inside one of the corner 'tubes' got away with it for more than a year ! but finally became useless !

Took Aaron's advice, 4.0mm from 'Bouncing Rabit' - same price as last year and super 2 day delivery included :)

Took me a bit longer than Aaron's 15 mins , because I left the original in situ (for fear of having difficulty with the new cord) and inserted the new through the corners by attacking the end, with PVC tape to a fairly rigid short 4mm plastic tubing, which easily threaded around the corners !

Tightened and removed the old cord . Very pleased with the result. I'm sure that the easiest way would have been, as Aaron said, to just pull the new cord through, using the old, but I was a little cautious and choose a method with a 'back- up'

Randa france, Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

does ' bouncing rabbit' show up on card statement??

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 am
by Ribski | 1.468 Posts

OOOH ! I hope not !

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:05 pm
by SteveE (deleted)

Can I offer the ideal threader, if your cord has, like the one on our original Puck, snapped and vanished! I used a fly rod, with the new shock cord tied to the tip ring, and the whole deployed so the tip ring faces toward the inside of the van - it goes around the corners a treat

Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:35 am
by John Cross | 271 Posts

We are away in the Cotswolds and after setting up, we were relaxing with a cuppa and heard a twang. I had a look around but didn't notice anything.
As I was walking back to the van, I noticed the roof cord was bunched up at one corner. So just purchased the 4mm from bouncing rabbit.
It's now £10. We are going to replace the cord that holds the net curtains back, so I've also ordered some 3 mm for that. All in, £16. Thanks for the link

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Randa france, Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:00 am
by Philvayro44@gmail.com | 45 Posts

I suppose its handy to have some cord at hand just in case it's needed I have a Eriba troll you've mentioned 4mm thickness but what was the length you ordered from bouncing rabbit . Many thanks Phil.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:20 am

I've ordered 10 m, I know it's to much, but I thought it would be easier to fit through the corner loops, then I can tension it.
Our van is 20 years old next year, so it's done well

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:50 pm
by Philvayro44@gmail.com | 45 Posts

Thanks for the info . Mi

Thanks for the info. Our 540 is 9 yrs old but I still think I'll order some it's always handy to have . Cheers Phil.

John Cross likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:04 pm
by cabbie37 | 689 Posts

I find that a Fisherman’s knot works very well as it is simple and can be tightened easily if the shock cord stretches…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77lQEeuJDP0

There is also a good Wikipedia page but for some reason the link gets corrupted when I try and paste it into this thread

John Cross likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:08 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:50 pm

Handy knot to know, thanks.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:01 am
by Randa france | 13.204 Posts

Quote: John Cross wrote in post #14
Handy knot to know, thanks.

Forget it then John
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
pedrobedro, John Cross and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107695 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2