RE: Living Off the Grid

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:04 pm
by crow (deleted)

A future project, a 6 x corner bracket set and a 40amp - 50amp flexible solar panel
just stick it to the roof.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 $_57 6x Corner Bracket Set.JPG 

Some OAP's Should Get Holiday Pay
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:48 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

T5 240w closeup x350.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)VW camper guys normally use these flexible panels that stick to the roof. The downside is that you need a hole for the wire and can't be directed towards the sun, the upside is they work while travelling and will still be there after leaving the vehicle.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.

and like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:14 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

As HWPTB is a race marshall we often pitch up off grid at racetracks round the country. Silverstone for the GP is usually a Wed to Mon set up (he has to go for pre practice coms testing and the like) so the fridge is on gas and the lights and water pump are on the battery, we've never had any problem with running out of gas or electrickery mind you we don't have a tv but we do charge up the phones. We do have two gas bottles so that we should, in theory, never run out of gas and with a couple of candles and torches as backup we don't worry about the lighting system too much either.

Hope this eases your mind a little, trickle charging the battery whilst at home should ensure the battery stays in tip top condition for as long as possible.

Denise & Phil

and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:53 pm
by crow (deleted)

Garn, you have ruddy great dog running around in a cage hitched to a generator

Some OAP's Should Get Holiday Pay
marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:18 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Just as a point of interest - this plug in Voltmeter uses an LED (Light Emitting Diode display) which means as it 'lights up' it will consume a small electric current all the time its connected.

The panel meter shown by Aaron Calder, I believe uses an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), which uses considerably less current than the LED version - which itself is only very, very low !

However over a long sustained period with minimum battery charging opportunity it could make a difference. The plug in LED type are best not left plugged in for long periods of non battery charge !

Whether this difference is worth taking into account is a debatable point

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:36 pm
by hob (deleted)

Surprised no-one mentioned changing the light bulbs inside the van to LED to use less power (unless I missed it?)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 pm
by EllieMay (deleted)

Great minds think alike Hob. Have been looking at led strip lights. Electrician friend is going to fit a cigarette charger plug socket on top of the wardrobe for me so I can install some around the rim of the pop top. Will look pretty too!!

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:53 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
Electrician friend is going to fit a cigarette charger plug socket on top of the wardrobe

Be careful above the wardrobe remember the gap is very small when the top is down................squashed my best hat on there

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:47 am
by EllieMay (deleted)

I'd be surprised if there was ample room anywhere in our Millie. This is certainly bijou living!!!

The socket will be fixed to top of the shelf, just around the corner out of view. Friend is a big chap, will be funny watching him worked in such a confined space

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:23 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Intrigued by a hook up lead running from a wobbly box and disappearing under the bonnet of a near by car. I asked the owner who lifted the bonnet to reveal a 600w power inverter attached to the car battery with the EHU plugged into it! Apparently, when off grid he tops up his caravan battery using the in-built charger powered in this way. If he hasn't used the car for errands or day trips he runs it for twenty minutes or so, but the inverter has a low voltage cut out that should always leave enough to start the car. I haven't heard of this before, what are the cons?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:11 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.727 Posts

Quote: jasond4289 wrote in post #25
I haven't heard of this before, what are the cons?
Other than the obvious one that an inverter can't magic electricity out of nowhere and depends entirely on the available power of the car battery to which it's connected, there aren't really any major flaws in doing it that way.

While on one hand it seems - and probably is - a bit inefficient to convert 12v to 240v only to convert it back to 12v again, at least all the wiring would be up to snuff and able to cope with the current.

For what it's worth I'd have thought that a solar panel would be a better long-term solution to charging a caravan battery off grid. For one thing it's free (once you've bought the panel, obviously) and low voltage cutouts notwithstanding you don't ever run the risk of having two flat batteries and a car that won't start.

And needless to say you wouldn't need to use the battery to start the car and use fuel to run the engine to make the alternator generate enough juice in the car battery for the inverter to work the charger to charge the other battery.

She swallowed the dog to catch the cat; she swallowed the cat to catch the bird; she swallowed the bird to catch the spider that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her...

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:48 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #26
Quote: jasond4289 wrote in post #25
I haven't heard of this before, what are the cons?
Other than the obvious one that an inverter can't magic electricity out of nowhere and depends entirely on the available power of the car battery to which it's connected, there aren't really any major flaws in doing it that way.

While on one hand it seems - and probably is - a bit inefficient to convert 12v to 240v only to convert it back to 12v again, at least all the wiring would be up to snuff and able to cope with the current.

My initial thoughts were that it could not be very inefficient, but wasn't sure if it was very safe. As my off grid is weekends and I was already considering an inverter, this could allow an emergency top up.

Thanks

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:04 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: jasond4289 wrote in post #27

My initial thoughts were that it could not be very inefficient, but wasn't sure if it was very safe. As my off grid is weekends and I was already considering an inverter, this could allow an emergency top up.

Thanks

If you are only off grid for a weekend and your eriba battery is fully charged before you go I would have thought you would have enough power? provided of course you don't spend all day watching tv and so on.
The only 12v things in my triton are the loo flush, 2 water pumps and the lights.............. consider fitting led bulbs if not already fitted (use less power and run cold)
The fridge will not run off the caravan battery anyway so has to be run on gas.

I did a weekend at a steam rally once with no grid or battery, candle power and rechargable torches pre charged at home and a washing up bottle of water to flush the loo with and a watering can to fill the gas wistling kettle and any other water needed.

Part of the fun of being off grid, (helps if there is a bar or pub nearby for the evenings.)

Forum moderator
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:18 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

We've camped at dog agility competitions three times now (off grid) and each time have been more relaxed about 12v usage having started off as nervous kittens and the last time using what we wanted without worry. I've fitted an led voltmeter and it was showing 12.8v when we packed up last weekend. The light evenings have meant using the lights very little and I have already looked at the Ultraled site recommended in another thread, and will fit some before our next trip in two weeks as the nights a drawing in quickly now!

I like the idea of a fall back using an inverter which I was planning to purchase anyway, but would never have thought of doing this.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12609 topics and 106326 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3