Living Off the Grid

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:42 pm
by EllieMay (deleted)

Around 70% of Millie's outings will be living off the grid

Have figured out reading posts I will need to run my fridge and cook off gas as the leisure battery won't have enough power to use electric. I'll use stand-alone water carriers so won't be running the pump to the sink, need the workspace anyway so no big deal. So basically, for the fitted equipment I'll just be running a light inside the van at night for a couple of hours after-band shenanigans

Questions are:

Will a full gas bottle last me 4 days running the fridge, (including making ice) & cooking a bacon buttie and a couple of brews in the morning?

If I use my USB hella charger to charge my phone once a day would this run the battery down too much?

I need to figure out if I need to buy a spare battery and gas bottle.

Thanks in advance

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.
Scroll up

RE: Living Off the Grid

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:28 pm
by Randa france | 12.999 Posts

We're perhaps not the best persons to answer this question fully but last year whilst travelling abroad, our fridge let us down on mains power and, bearing in mind we only use the smaller 907 Campingaz bottles, we worked out that on gas, our fridge was lasting us 11 days between re-fills.
Therefore if you're using the larger calor gas bottle then it should easily last you 4 days even with a whole load of bacon butties.
Presumably if you're out and abouting in the car during the day, an in-car charger will look after your phone?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:41 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

We are toying with the idea of putting a solar panel on the roof of the T5 so we don't need EHU. A guy we talked to yesterday has one and runs a fridge and lights in the summer over here and there's the gas option on the days without sun. In high season it's like a fiver a day for electric, so that's over 300 euros for the next two months for us. Anyone else have a solar panel?

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:46 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.788 Posts

When you tow with a campervan, do you need two EHUs, one each for the van and the caravan and if so, how does that affect site charges on ACSI sites where EHU is included in the site fee?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Hmm! Good point, interesting Brian

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

We just have one hook up and charge the T5 with an extention lead from the caravan. It's just a little fridge in the T5 and no-one has ever complained. When we stayed at a campsite where electric was limited to 4kw a day we were charged only a euro extra in a week, when Roger was charged about 4 euros extra for 4 days. So we really don't take the Michael.

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:48 am
by EllieMay (deleted)

Thank you

Good news about the gas consumption, that was my main concern, need my morning coffee to function!! I've got an Igloo Maxcold icebox but reluctant to take with the extra weight. It's huge!!!

I won't be driving around to charge my phone though. Think I need to invest in a battery tester to see how I'm going along over the weekend so I don't damage my battery.

Anybody recommend a good one?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:38 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

In between outings, where are you going to keep your Puck? If it will be at home, your best bet would be to invest in a trickle charger for your leisure battery, plugged into the mains by an extension cable, so that it's maintained in top condition. Mine cost less than £30, and appears to do its job well. Also you'll be charging the battery all the time you're towing to and from the venues. If there's no acces to power between trips, hoik the battery out and put it on charge at home. If all you're using is a couple of lights and a phone charger, a fully charged leisure battery will easily see you through a festival, no trouble.

Likewise, as others have reassured you, a 4.5kg gas bottle will be more than enough.

For peace of mind, a digital voltmeter is a good idea. Permanently attached to the battery terminals by crocodile clips, and mounted on an internal wall, it tells you how much juice there is in the battery. Aaron Calder wrote about this at some length here, so do a search to see what he says. Maplins would be a good place to get one. One tip, though: mount it inside a cupboard, otherwise its neon glow will keep you awake all night long!

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 am
by victoriana (deleted)

Hi,
When i was camping to charge my phone if i was not driving. I had a battery pack which took a plug to charge phone ect. would jump start a car and could blow up the tyre of my car . Found this very useful. But a tad heavy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.727 Posts

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #8
In between outings, where are you going to keep your Puck? If it will be at home, your best bet would be to invest in a trickle charger for your leisure battery, plugged into the mains by an extension cable, so that it's maintained in top condition. Mine cost less than £30, and appears to do its job well. Also you'll be charging the battery all the time you're towing to and from the venues. If there's no acces to power between trips, hoik the battery out and put it on charge at home. If all you're using is a couple of lights and a phone charger, a fully charged leisure battery will easily see you through a festival, no trouble.

Likewise, as others have reassured you, a 4.5kg gas bottle will be more than enough.

For peace of mind, a digital voltmeter is a good idea. Permanently attached to the battery terminals by crocodile clips, and mounted on an internal wall, it tells you how much juice there is in the battery. Aaron Calder wrote about this at some length here, so do a search to see what he says. Maplins would be a good place to get one. One tip, though: mount it inside a cupboard, otherwise its neon glow will keep you awake all night long!
I'd go along with all this. Well, except for having to put your voltmeter in a cupboard; if you get an LCD one instead of an LED one, there is no glow.

But that's really splitting hairs...

The other thing you might consider is a small solar charger for your phone. Something like this one.

Charging your caravan battery with a portable solar panel while you're on site is also an option, but you'll need one a bit bigger than the one in the link to do a satisfactory job. Having said that, and bearing in mind what little use your battery would get anyway, I'd have thought it was perfectly feasible to get a solar panel which you could prop up in a window or outside if you're around the van.

Leave it outside at a festival and I reckon it'd be taking a walk before long.

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:09 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:32 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.788 Posts

This is the voltmeter I fitted. No backlight, no glow.

P1010017.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:21 am
by EllieMay (deleted)

Thanks ever so much for the replies, you're all being incredibly helpful. Think I'm begging to see the light a bit. (pun intended. ha ha)

Was looking at solar panel options but am out all day with my phone so would need to charge it at night. And, although the festivals I go to are the small grass roots ones so tend to be lovely friendly folk with an average age of 50, I wouldn't chance leaving an expensive panel outside the van. Too much temptation!!

Was thinking of getting a voltmeter which would plug into the car socket in the van (with a Hella adaptor) so wouldn't have to wire anything up. They seem ridiculously cheap though which makes me a bit suspicious. They state they are for car batteries, would they work on leisure batteries also?

This one has caught my eye as all the others have temperature gauges which I don't need... (sorry about the copy and paste, don't know how to insert a link)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighte...gital+voltmeter

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.727 Posts

Quote: EllieMay wrote in post #12
Was looking at solar panel options but am out all day with my phone so would need to charge it at night.
You need a moonlar panel. That's what you need.

Quote: EllieMay wrote in post #12
Was thinking of getting a voltmeter which would plug into the car socket in the van (with a Hella adaptor) so wouldn't have to wire anything up. They seem ridiculously cheap though which makes me a bit suspicious. They state they are for car batteries, would they work on leisure batteries also?

This one has caught my eye as all the others have temperature gauges which I don't need... (sorry about the copy and paste, don't know how to insert a link)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighte...gital+voltmeter

I'd get one of those in a flash. Thirty bob for a voltmeter with so few negative reviews? You can't really go wrong - you've probably lost more than £1.40 down the back of the sofa since yesterday.

And yes, in terms of your requirements, a leisure battery is really pretty much the same as a car battery.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am
by EllieMay (deleted)

Lovely Juberley. That's another thing sorted. I'll get one ordered.

Husband is already fainting at the amount of packages arriving daily. This one may just tip him over the edge

Thanks again to everybody, I'd be lost without your advice

Now...... where can I get one of these moonlar panels..... off to Amazon again!!!

Last edited Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: EllieMay wrote in post #14
Now...... where can I get one of these moonlar panels..... off to Amazon again!!!

I think you might have to go as far as the Amazon to find one — and even then you'd be lucky!

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 7 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12606 topics and 106291 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2