RE: Leveler

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:20 pm
by EllieMay (deleted)

Thanks for reply Hob (and for putting it in alcohol terms so I get it )

Probably another stupid question but can't the corner steadies do the levelling thing?

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:26 pm
by Eric (deleted)

Nothing wrong with other ramps, just think they cradle the wheel better

Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:28 pm
by hob (deleted)

Steadies are to stop it rocking about, they are not strong enough to lift one side off the ground to level it. specially if I'm sitting that side.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:40 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.525 Posts

I was told that using the corner steadies to level the van could twist the chassis, don't know if that's true. I only know this because in our early days and new to caravanning that's what I thought the corner steadies were for.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:26 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

When leveling on site using the more common Fiamma-type ramps, it is easy to be caught out when the caravan rolls back off the ramp despite the handbrake lever having been pulled up.

This is because the design of the brakes allows the van to roll backwards 10 inches (25cm) before the brake engages fully, at which point the handbrake lever will move to a vertical position.

The comment next to Figure 5 in this document explains this.

So, to avoid your caravan rolling off the ramp once leveled, stick a wheel chock under the wheel that is on the ramp before lowering the corner steadies.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

and like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm
by EllieMay (deleted)

Oh bugger. I've been using the steadies for levelling. Meep. Thanks for putting me on the right track!!!

Do you put the spirit level on the outside of the van to check if it's level?

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.

Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.629 Posts

Quote: EllieMay wrote in post #21
Oh bugger. I've been using the steadies for levelling. Meep. Thanks for putting me on the right track!!!
Do you put the spirit level on the outside of the van to check if it's level?

I put the spirit level on the kitchen top, that makes sure that my soup stays in the pan.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:36 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

I keep one of these little two-way spirit levels in one of the door pockets and put it on the floor just inside the door when leveling.

spirit level.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.525 Posts

Ditto

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

I use the milenco level and gauge. So you know how many stops to go up. Works really well.

Last edited Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:32 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #23
I keep one of these little two-way spirit levels in one of the door pockets and put it on the floor just inside the door when leveling.

I started off doing that as well as it seemed the most obvious place. However, I later noticed that there was a discrepancy between the reading when taken from the floor and that from the kitchen worktop or front table. Working on the assumption that the floor might not be quite level and that it was important that the soup stayed in the plate I now place the two-way spirit level on the table or worktop.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 am
by hob (deleted)

Theoretically the pivot point will be over the center of the axle, so the closer to there a level is placed the less it will change and the further away the more it will change.
Everything above floor level depends on the build quality to be level so the optimal place should be somewhere like on the floor just inside the door where its fairly easy to see in between adjustments.

Having said that I have never found it needed to be too exact, as long as liquids don't spill over the side of a glass or cooking vessel and I don't feel like i'm trying to sleep up or down hill when laying down its usually good enough.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #27
Having said that I have never found it needed to be too exact, as long as liquids don't spill over the side of a glass or cooking vessel and I don't feel like i'm trying to sleep up or down hill when laying down its usually good enough.
Couldn't agree more, Nev.

We don't bother with a spirit level. I do it by eye. Provided all my peas don't rush to one side of the plate, I'm happy.

Unless you cock it up big time it's almost always better than what you can achieve with a tent, after all.

sf-T 33/7r

Last edited Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 am
by Frantone (deleted)

So how would you use a tent to level your caravan?

"Unless you cock it up big time it's almost always better than what you can achieve with a tent, after all."

ps Peas won't "rush" anywhere if mushy.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #25
I use the milenco level and gauge. So you know how many stops to go up. Works really well.

Am I missing something here, Taffy? The gauge appears to assist in the front to back levelling but what about the side to side which is really the awkward part of the process.

Milenco SuperLevel.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12788 topics and 107411 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4