Interchanging number plates

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:10 am
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi All,

I am in the happy position of having 2 vehicles, each of which we can use for towing. I am due to pick up our new to us Puck L 230 GT at the end of the month.
Question is, how to fit the number plate? I am led to believe that the dealer will use double sided tape to fix the plate, if they use good quality tape, which I'm sure they will, it can be a b****r to get it off again! So swapping plates will be a bit of a nightmare possibly involving broken plates or scratched bodywork.

Can any one tell me if the moulding where the plate fixes is single skinned or double skinned? My thinking is that if it is double skinned then I could use aluminium rivnuts then screw the plates to the van. If it is single skinned then it won't work as there is a danger of water penetration so any ideas in those circumstances would be welcome.

Chris

Scroll up

RE: Interchanging number plates

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:52 am
by Paul (deleted)

I am too in same situation, my first number plate is firmly fixed with double sided pads which I put on myself. When the weather settles I will try putting two plastic ties thredled behind 1st one to hold 2nd plate. When wanting 1st plate I will just cut ties. Just an idea. Paul.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

I think I might try something like this:

Plate fixing.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I'm sure you could come up with a way of preventing the bolts from loosening if you felt that epoxying the bolt heads into their countersinks in the rear of the blind number plate wasn't secure enough. A panel pin in each bolt head slot (and a bit longer than it) set into the back of the plate would lock them in place, and making sure you covered them with your double-sided tape would make doubly sure.

You can get slotted countersunk nylon bolts and suitable nuts on Ebay, and I bet you've got an old number plate kicking around somewhere.

sf-T 33/7r

and like this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:49 pm
by hob (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Maybe you could fit a number plate holder somehow.
My Triton came over from Holland with one already fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R9.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xnumber.TRS0&_nkw=number+plate+holder&_sacat=0

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Probably looking for something a bit more permant/neater than cable ties, like the reversed bolt idea, I already have 2 sets of plates drilled to fit on my rear bike carrier so wouldn't be too dificult to implement! Also like the idea of the number plate holder, very neat, I'll see if my local motor factor has any to see how easy to change and secure they are.

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 pm
by Journeyers55 (deleted)

Hi our number plate fits in a spring loaded bracket off e bay as we sometimes different cars too and is secure and easy to swap over used self tapping screws to fix and had no problems using a long number plate instead of a square one as we already had it.
Caz and Paul

1996 Eriba Triton 410 & Misubishi pinin 1.8
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

This isn't any help to you but it's interesting. Here, the caravan has its own number plate - nothing to do with the car.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Hi Caz & Paul,

On Hobs recommendation I looked on eBay, there are loads and I wondered how they secured the plate, one had a "key" to release the plate, but yours is sprung? I'll need to get down to the motor factors I think!

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Chris, here is the link to the ones we have put on, they work great, number plate just clicks in and out as you want. Hope it helps.

2 x Spring Loaded Steel Number Plate Holders Clips Clamps For Trailers Caravans

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Spring-Loa...Y0AAOSwq7JUGWxX

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Randa france and Ribski like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 am
by Eric (deleted)

The part that I used came from germany off ebay, the way the germans do it is using a number plate holder which they insert the plate so that they can move the plate from car to car easily, simple idea

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 am
by Eric (deleted)

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-ABS-Fron...jMAAOSw7hRWPh1g

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:51 pm
by chezmart | 186 Posts

We use Velcro. The sticky backed version and this works really well. You'll be surprised how strong it is. 3 vertical strips is all that's needed.
Same as you we have 2 tow cars, Eriba, trailer and bike rack it would be a pain to keep swapping plates over.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:31 pm
by ChrisCM (deleted)

Thanks Guys,

Few options to consider,

Journeyers55, these look substantial but can you see part of the clamp when they are installed?

Chezmart, Liking the Velcro idea but doesn't it pull off the van/plate when you pull them off, I've never had muck luck with the sticky type.

Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:31 am

Hi Chris, this is what ours looks like with and without plates.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:35 pm
by chezmart | 186 Posts

Chris. The velcro sticks really well and will not peel off easily at all. I've not had any peel off in all the years I've been using it and I remove the plate after every trip.

Martin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12788 topics and 107409 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0